Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot of you will probably think this is crazy or impossible but in my case its 100% true.

Alot of people mention/complain about the hard shifts on the Spartan 275 and I was starting to become a little unhappy myself. I know that everyone says its normal and its fine and all but mine were brutal. Once I lifted my truck, they got even worse.

I finally got around to installing my OUO traction bars/blocks and you will not believe it when I say that the shifts are 100% better. They are quick, smooth, and precise. No more clunk, no more, pounding, no more brutality. I am really enjoying my truck now and happy that this fixed the problem. I guess all that torque that the tune makes was making the rear end twist and when it would shift it would move just enough to make the shift really hard.

Anyway, my thanks go out to Spartan and to One Up Offroad for two amazing products that compliment each other so well. Thanks Guys:woot:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Alot of you will probably think this is crazy or impossible but in my case its 100% true.

Alot of people mention/complain about the hard shifts on the Spartan 275 and I was starting to become a little unhappy myself. I know that everyone says its normal and its fine and all but mine were brutal. Once I lifted my truck, they got even worse.

I finally got around to installing my OUO traction bars/blocks and you will not believe it when I say that the shifts are 100% better. They are quick, smooth, and precise. No more clunk, no more, pounding, no more brutality. I am really enjoying my truck now and happy that this fixed the problem. I guess all that torque that the tune makes was making the rear end twist and when it would shift it would move just enough to make the shift really hard.

Anyway, my thanks go out to Spartan and to One Up Offroad for two amazing products that compliment each other so well. Thanks Guys:woot:
Honestly, this is something we've overlooked ourselves- haven't even thought of or considered spring wrap as a possibility. Actually explains alot:thumb: Thanks for passing it along.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thats great news Josh....

may have to spring for those traction bars after all
this is just another way for me to justify them to myself

·
Registered
474 Posts
I was also planning on purchasing the OUO traction bars to fix the axle wrap issue that my truck has when it shifts. I'm also running the 275 tune. I would be scared to take the truck to the track the way it is now. Keep in mind that my truck is lifted, but the shifts are painful.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad this is a proven fix for this problem.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Honestly, this is something we've overlooked ourselves- haven't even thought of or considered spring wrap as a possibility. Actually explains alot:thumb: Thanks for passing it along.
I guess you haven't gone for a ride in a lifted truck with your race tunes? Or maybe not a lifted truck that didn't already have traction bars? Only reason I asked is because it was a major :eek: the first time I went WOT with the 275 in my lifted truck. It felt like it was going to rip the rearend out of the truck!....lol

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Thanks for the info Josh, I plan on putting some on my truck sometime down the road. Maybe sooner than later now

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally noticed the rough shifts more when im at part throttle during daily driving than at WOT. Now i feel like im driving a sporty automatic car. Shifts are precise, quick, and perfectly firm. Good job spartan.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I personally noticed the rough shifts more when im at part throttle during daily driving than at WOT. Now i feel like im driving a sporty automatic car. Shifts are precise, quick, and perfectly firm. Good job spartan.
How much are the OUO traction bars...?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They have alot of options which reflect price. You can do the adjustable traction bar with the traction block which is the most expensive option. Or they have fixed bars with welded on axle mounts which i think are the cheapest. Your looking to spend minimum of 700 bucks i think.

Contact trucktoyzperformance.com to configure the setup thats right for you and to get the best pricing.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
DAMN that is high. I will probably be waiting awhile on that. Studs and a tranny are more important at this point in the game for me

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
i wish i had bought them when i lifted the truck, i could have saved some coin by not getting rear blocks...

·
Registered
474 Posts
DAMN that is high. I will probably be waiting awhile on that. Studs and a tranny are more important at this point in the game for me
It seems as though this issue is only an unbareable issue on lifted trucks. I will be doing traction bars before studs or tranny just because my truck is obnoctious to drive with the 275 tune. It is no fault of the tune. It just doesn't work with the lift very well.

I have been trying to sell my best friend on Spartanizing his lifted 08 6.4 but one ride in my truck with the 275 tune and it was a big, "NO WAY", due to the shifting. I have now loaded the 150 and 210 tunes for him to drive around and he is a believer again. :thumb: I unerstand that the 250 and 275 tunes are race tunes and the shifting is like that for a reason. It just takes a little extra $$$ to make a lifted truck handle everything like a stock size truck. It comes with the territory. :)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree that the lifted trucks emphasize the shifting but mine was nothing nice even in stock trim with the 275

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I agree that the lifted trucks emphasize the shifting but mine was nothing nice even in stock trim with the 275
On my dually, it hits HARD in part throttle. I will be getting a set of the bars to clam things down. Thanks for the GREAT info!

Mike

·
Registered
850 Posts
I agree, when I put the OUO traction blocks on it tightened up the shifts alot...no more transfer into the rear end like before. The traction blocks are not cheap but worth every penny, especially tuned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts