Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have the part number for the spare tire carrier lock adaptor? It's the socket that goes on the end of the jack handle to unlock and lower the spare tire. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I dont know the part number but I lost mine and had to take my truck to the dealership so they could find out which pattern the lock was. Apparently there are like 30 different patterns. But I dont know if each pattern has a differnet part number or not. The cost of the new "key" was $14.

·
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Or you can just knock the lock portion out and never have to worry about it again..

·
Registered
533 Posts
Remove the plastic horn looking piece that guides the spare tire crank handle into the lock. You will see a chrome looking metal piece on the end of the spare tire winch, this is the lock. Get in there with a large screwdriver/prybar and a hammer and get on the edge of it and knock it out. It is just lightly pressed in. Once it pops out reinstall the horn and now you can just use the spare tire crank handle, no need for a lock.

·
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remove the plastic horn looking piece that guides the spare tire crank handle into the lock. You will see a chrome looking metal piece on the end of the spare tire winch, this is the lock. Get in there with a large screwdriver/prybar and a hammer and get on the edge of it and knock it out. It is just lightly pressed in. Once it pops out reinstall the horn and now you can just use the spare tire crank handle, no need for a lock.
Well, that's a good idea and all, but I don't see a way to remove the horn with the tire in place...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
9/16 12pt socket. A few extentions, impact/ drill. Use a quick tap. The socket will go over the adapter then use the. Drill to lower the tire. Problem solved and easier tool. If wanted it could be removed later and or the lock removed

·
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
9/16 12pt socket. A few extentions, impact/ drill. Use a quick tap. The socket will go over the adapter then use the. Drill to lower the tire. Problem solved and easier tool. If wanted it could be removed later and or the lock removed
I'll give that a try tomorrow! Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your not worried about tire being stolen and are handy around cars. Crawl under the truck pull the black tube off and get a long flat head , the thing will pop out with some diddling and you can use the regular handle. It takes about 15 mins. or so.

·
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your not worried about tire being stolen and are handy around cars. Crawl under the truck pull the black tube off and get a long flat head , the thing will pop out with some diddling and you can use the regular handle. It takes about 15 mins. or so.
Right, but I see no way to get the horn out with the tire still in place. I tried it last night. I'll have to get the tire out by one method mentioned above, then when the tire is down, remove the horn and remove the lock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From driver side reach over tire between it and bumper twist alittle because it doesn't go to far, as you are twisting back and forth wobble side to side and pull towards bumper. It just pulls off and pushes on. If I knew how to upload a video from my phone, I would post or send it to you.

·
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AWESOME! Thanks for the pics! You Rock! Sucks about the engine tho... What happened with that?

·
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that much power out of a stock mustang? Was it urs?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah it is mine, I added a D1 procharger to get that much power(I knew it was a ticking time bomb, but wanted to push the limits). It now has all supporting mods. Livernois stroker, stage 2 heads and stage 2 cams, meth, built rear end, cobra jet trans, and some other stuff. Going for 750-800hp, after I get new clutch in this weekend.

·
Registered
291 Posts
From driver side reach over tire between it and bumper twist alittle because it doesn't go to far, as you are twisting back and forth wobble side to side and pull towards bumper. It just pulls off and pushes on. If I knew how to upload a video from my phone, I would post or send it to you.
I'm going to try this-- Thanks! Once it is off, will it be pretty self-explanatory how to pop the lock off so I can just use my jack handle?

Adam

·
Registered
27 Posts
lotsa big time net mechanics bs here..... there are 4 15mm bolts to remove the bracket itself then you can simply pop the end out and then modify the rods to fit in..... THERE is no way a 13 year old chinese gurls arm is gonna fit in there!

·
Registered
533 Posts
lotsa big time net mechanics bs here..... there are 4 15mm bolts to remove the bracket itself then you can simply pop the end out and then modify the rods to fit in..... THERE is no way a 13 year old chinese gurls arm is gonna fit in there!
You ain't trying hard enough if you cant get it out....:dunno:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts