Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys the clutch is just about gone so I'm getting a southbend single disk and was wondering how they drive compared to stock. Haven't heard much, 6.4s with a stick are a rare breed!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah i agree. It may be fine but everyone i know of who did a clutch ended up going to a double disc. I have one I'm about to put in myself

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
149 Posts
i put a southbend dual disc in a dodge i used to have and loved it. pedal was a little stiffer than stock, but awesome.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Cant beat a southbend. Ran a dd3250 in my last goat, it will take a beating.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I would say it depends on how much HP you are planning to make. I am pretty sure if you don't beat the h#ll and don't plan to go higher than a CAI, tuner, exhaust, a SD should be fine. Most of time a SD will shift quicker than a DD. I have one of the first 3850s made for the 6.4. It has been bulletproof, but its shifting is very slow/tough. According to Craig (from MPD) who had driven a truck with the new 3850 and another one with the old 3850, there is a night and day difference. If you aren't planning to go above 700 RWHP and want the security of a DD, according to one person that has it installed, the 3250 DD shifts pretty good

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so i think im just going to say with the single for now but i will differently be looking into the DD when i get a little more work into the motor. Thanks for the info guys

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Ok so i think im just going to say with the single for now but i will differently be looking into the DD when i get a little more work into the motor. Thanks for the info guys
Good luck....and definitely let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd suggest looking at the 3250 dual disc right from the start. You'd avoid paying for install twice and your used single will be pretty much worthless.

Ask about the dual disc dual friction clutch if you call Southbend.
Shifting should be better than previous dual disc models and pedal pressure will be same as stock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got the new clutch in and got it broken in. Wow the 275 moves a little bit better then the 210 but the clutch is great and is holding good now all I have to worry about is the tires.......

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Finally got the new clutch in and got it broken in. Wow the 275 moves a little bit better then the 210 but the clutch is great and is holding good now all I have to worry about is the tires.......

Great to hear....which did you end up going with?

·
Registered
68 Posts
congrats man! im about to do a clutch soon as well. now your just gonna need tires sooner :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with the 475 hp rated single and I've run that thing hard and it's holding its own. The tires on the other hand are not holding nearly as well as the clutch...... Woops :)

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I went with the 475 hp rated single and I've run that thing hard and it's holding its own. The tires on the other hand are not holding nearly as well as the clutch...... Woops :)

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it is working out for you. How is the shift speed?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The shift speed is the same as the stock clutch it grabs harder but not to bad. Also what do you guys with the double disk thing of those?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
The shift speed is the same as the stock clutch it grabs harder but not to bad. Also what do you guys with the double disk thing of those?

I have the old version 3850. It was one of the first ones that were produced for the 6.4 and from what I have been told from people who have driven the newer version, it is a night and day difference. Mine is very loud (which doesn't bother me but does annoy a lot of my buddies). It also grabs very hard which doesn't bother me much either. It can be very hard to get into L or R and can be somewhat difficult getting into first. It also shifts pretty slow into all gears. My father-in-law says it is one of the most difficult trucks he has ever driven to shift and he has had a CDL for over 30 years. From what I hear from other guys with the 3250 or the newer version of the 3850, they shift at close to the same speeds as stock although they do grab harder than stock (which is to be expected). I will still be working on engine mods for now, but one of these days, I will probably upgrade to the newer version of the 3850 or get the 3250 (it will just depend on how much HP I am making). I can say mine has been bulletproof...I have never been able to get it to slip even towing up to 26k.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine hasnt been bad i'd say its pretty much broken in now. The pedal feel is same as stock sometimes it gets a little grabby but its not bad. Im doing traction bars here soon and see if that helps out. Mine also squeeks some as it grabs but i think its because of the sintered iron, i dont know if ceramic does that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts