Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering if anyone has tried wrapping their entire exhaust pipe in insulating wrap to cut down on the cab noise? do you think this would work or not really?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If you are wanting to cut down on cab noise, I would recommend sound deadening the cab floor under the carpet. I would advise against wrapping the exhaust as that may cause a rise in EGTs and I don;t think it will reduce sound enough to be worth it.

·
Banned
837 Posts
I concur with the above. Definitely DO NOT wrap the exhaust. Not only will it just not work, but it will more than likely catch on fire.

Pull up the carpet and line the truck bed with the deadener underneath the carpet. You may want to get as much of the firewall done as you can also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, I'm about to work on the sound deadening full interior. I was just curious as if it would have any affect. Do yal think a layer of Rattle Trap then a 1/4 in Closed cell foam layer and then a layer on 1lb/sq ft Mass Loaded Vinyl will make it luxury car quite in the cab or is it over kill or any other ideas?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I sprayed my cab underside with Rubberized undercoating, it helped some. (soak those cans in hot water 1st to make 'em spray right)

I'm about to pad under the carpet as well. I bought a bunch of those closed-cell mats you put under a sleeping bag on a clearance. WAY cheaper than Dynamat, and I've been very happy with it in other cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts