Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The inside of my tailpipes are black with soot. I was at a campground this weekend where there were 2 other '08 and both of their tailpipes were clean.

So I'm thinking something is wrong with my truck. Is it maybe burning too rich?

I'm getting worse fuel mileage then what the others are getting too. They are both towing 5th wheels (12,000+ lbs) and getting 10+ mpg's, I'm getting 8.5 mpg's and I'm towing a 6,500 lbs travel trailer. We followed each other to the campground and back so conditions etc. are identical.

Any ideas?

I'm calling my dealer this afternoon and getting it checked out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Odds are it's a cracked DPF.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the same condition on my 08 with the soot in the tailpipes.
South Texas Diesel, why do you say it could be a cracked DPF?
If it was cracked would you get an exhaust leak or set off a code if it was not holding pressure? Just curious. Maybe that will be my excuse to rip it off and get a tune once they come out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The entire purpose of a DPF is to filter the soot out of the exhaust. So, if you have soot on your tailpipe you can assume that the DPF is not functioning properly. If a DPF is cracked it will still cause back pressure, preventing codes from being thrown.

Many dealers will say soot on tail pipes in normal, they are full of it. The entire purpose of the emissions BS is to prevent soot from exiting the exhaust system. If there's soot, something isn't working right.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, it's at the dealership. They are looking at the soot problem, aligning/balancing because the truck drifts to the left, fixing the 2 recalls, and re-attaching the front license plate (which is a story!).

So they are doing all this work, and mind you this is where I bought the truck. He wants to charge me $30 to fix the license plate bracket that broke the day after I picked it up, and I called my sales guy the next week. So I said no, I'm not paying to fix that, he said OK. I go to the show room to wait for their shuttle. He comes to get me, on the way back he said, it isn't under warranty therefore he is going to charge me. I told him WRONG, they will fix it and I will NOT pay for it. It broke the day I picked it up, you better talk to my salesman!!!

So...this dealership really pissed me off 7 years ago when I bought my truck and for 5 years I did not go back. I went back 2 years ago and they've been great, so that is where I bought my truck from. They better step up the customer service, or they are going to really get me going!!! I know it is just a little stupid thing, but it's this kind of stuff that gets me mad. And since I had such terrible service 7 years ago, I have a very short fuse with them, and even a silly little license plate bracket is going to set it off.

I'll keep you posted, on the outcome of the soot in the tailpipe thingy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope this doesn't need to get moved to "How bad does your dealer suck" thread. After having it all day, he calls me up "Sorry, we haven't been able to look at it". So fine, I try to make arrangements to get home etc. Can't really make decent arrangements that don't totally put me out. So I call back to get a loner so I can drive home, drive to work, then to get my truck. Ohhh, they are out of loners. I told him I don't care how he does it, get me one!!

I'll update with the soot thingy tomorrow....hopefully!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the same problem with soot in my tailpipe too....keep us updated! Jmelendy, do you have a shake/vibration in your truck from about 5-20mph upon acceleration when towing your 5'er? I have this problem when I am hooked up to mine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those of you who have the soot buildup what job # do you have? I see BJacobs has #3.

I haven't heard yet, but they did take care of me as far as a loner car. So it is getting better. They know they are dealing with someone that won't take crap from them, so I hope they take care of the problems.

I'll post as soon as I hear from them, which BETTER BE THIS MORNING! Even if it is, "sorry, we haven't gotten to it yet."

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BJacobs, I get a very small vibration during hard accelleration, very short too. But I tow a travel trailer, and it is only 6500#, so a much different rig then yours.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got a call from the dealership, asking questions, when did I notice etc. He did state, that the soot is not right. And mentioned a possible bad tank of fuel.

They are investigating further...he'll get back to me.

P.S. Nice rig BJacobs!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BJacobs, what kind of mileage do you get towing that rig?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He said they checked the "filter" and it is fine. He started to try and explain ULSD to me and I cut him short, because he aint gonna pull that crap with me, then saying they have bad diesel up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which is BS.

I asked him if he hooked up the computer? Of course he didn't. Can he pull how often it goes into regen etc. What else can he find from the computer?

Someone mentioned a cracked DPF, how do I tell him to look for that?

Ohh, and guess what, no parts for all the other stuff I had him do, like the recalls, and my license plate bracket, and he said it is all aligned perfectly. So I'm having him rotate the tires. He asked me if I rotated the tires every other oil change...duhhhh...it has 3,000 miles on it...duhhh...what do you think?

·
Registered
45 Posts
We just got back from a trip to Florida and on the way there (kinda in a hurry) I kept it just above 70 and stopped only for fuel and got 6.6MPG hand calculated. :tard: However, on the way back I kept it just under 65 stopped again only for fuel and got 7.8MPG. I weighed at a truck stop and total weight for the truck and trailer loaded down was 25,500lbs! I've just about made up my mind to do the DPF delete and tuner to help out with the fuel guzzling.

P.S. I have 3.73 gears

·
Registered
45 Posts
We just got back from a trip to Florida and on the way there (kinda in a hurry) I kept it just above 70 and stopped only for fuel and got 6.6MPG hand calculated. :tard: However, on the way back I kept it just under 65 stopped again only for fuel and got 7.8MPG. I weighed at a truck stop and total weight for the truck and trailer loaded down was 25,500lbs! I've just about made up my mind to do the DPF delete and tuner to help out with the fuel guzzling.

P.S. I have 3.73 gears

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I keep it at or under 65 too, and I'm getting 7.9 towing 6500# TT, so my guess is the rig weighs 15,000#? :confused: I think I should be getting much better, considering I've only towed in the relative flats of Wisconsin so far.

DPF Delete scares me, in that it voids the warranty :doh:

My uncle says he is getting 10+ on a rig well over 20,000# and 17 - 21 empty rolling down the highway, I think he is full of it

I'm trying to get a hold of a guy in the EPA, to see if there is some kind of test and what the particulates ppm need to be coming out of a 2008 Diesel....that might light a fire under the old Ford Dealership :dunno:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He just called. They went through a "laundry list" of diagnostics with Ford and found nothing wrong. So they are replacing the fuel pump. Well, at least it is something.

I'll ask them about the cracked DPF tomorrow when I pick up the truck.

I guess, I'll wait and see now. Too bad I won't be driving it to test it until I go on my 3,000 mile vacation in a month. Maybe I should burn through a tank of fuel or something.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated. I am getting 11-12 city driving in a hilly area empty. I have gotten 15 to 18 on the highway empty depending on my speed.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts