Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on one of our 6.0s when everything is warm while driving the engine will lose power and or stall. Fuel filters have been changed, and yesterday I pulled the egr valve out and cleaned it. Seemed to run fine afterwords, and today it stalls again. Help!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
What year, got a monitor, any codes? Sounds like hpop, or icp acting up.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this one is either a 03 or an 04. I'll look tomorrow. about a year and a half ago this one got a new FICM and 5 months later it got something called a half shell?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
03 , 04 are prone to icp failures. Also the pigtail that connects to the icp. If the ficm and half shell have failed recently, it was because of weak batteries. You need a monitor like edge insight. Read the stickies.

·
Registered
65 Posts
mine did the same thing would start fine then intermittently stall/run rough and wouldn't restart when hot. ended up being 2 injectors died on the same bank. did the injectors egr delete and new oil cooler and no problems since just my .02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This one seems to always start back up. One of the guys here said he thought it stalled more when letting your foot off of the diesel pedal. Where's the icp? There is another truck here that I can borrow from.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
03 early 04 under the turbo, later models right front valve cover.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just read one of the sticky's. Checked Ficm, voltage never dropped below 48 volts.back to sticky, via Droid, its a long and painful process. This truck is an 04, possible donor truck looks like 03. Also possible donor truck is down for a turbo, haven't looked at it yet.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
1.15 volts at icp at idle with a cold engine
Thats goods, you need to be able to monitor that. If the icp is under the turbo, see if the pigtail is oil soaked. Can you pull codes, are you saying it only does this hot, does it run fine other than stalling? Does it start right back up? Can you load test the batteries and then monitor ficm through the driving range? Do you have the blue spring update? Do you have motorcraft filters and caps? You should test fuel pressure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems to run fine then it will seem to fall back to idle then the power comes back on or sometimes you'll be driving and it will just die, mainly while trying to pull out into traffic.take it out of gear and it starts right back up and away we go. Only does it when it's hot. Runs fine down the highway. I'm working with basic tools here, so no scan tool. There was corrosion on the batteries.one has 12.3 volts the other has 12.5 both new in December 2010. A local battery shop has there sticker on them. No other info. and I have not properly load tested them. That requires about 30 miles of driving but I'll go do it this after noon. There's oil and dirt all over this engine, doesent appear to have any bad leaks.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Certaintly inspect the icp pigtail.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pig tail looks fine. No oil on it. Do the connections inside get lose? Should I "tweak" them to make a better connection?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If it looks good, then it probably is. Make sure your three ficm connectors are seated well. It seems you may have a connector loose somewhere. Some have had problems with injector connectors and harnesses. The wire clip on the injector connector is squeezed to release the connector.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, when I got back to the shop aftet testing the batteries, I put my hands on every electrical connection I could see. One of the three under the ficm popped. Also that thing was lose where it mounts to the valve cover. The two 10mm nuts on the front were tight and the two 8mm bolts on the back were lose. Tightened them. Out driving it right now simulating chasing parts and it's running fine.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
That was probably it. Get a monitor on that truck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah right, these trucks hardly get fuel when they need it. Wouldn't mind putting one on my personal '02 7.3 Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts