Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...
Im new to the diesel thing, but have been building turbo gasoline cars since the early 90's.

I just got a 97 last week. Already got a turbo back on it last night :D
But I got some questions:

First, where is the temp gauge supposed to sit normally? Mine BARELY gets into the normal range, and that even takes a while. I'm wondering if someone took the thermostat out. When I go to leave in the morning, the first 4 or 5 miles the truck runs weak because i guess the EBPV is staying closed to warm up the truck, but while its doing this its blowing smoke like a freight train. Once it gets past that it seems to run ok, but I'm in the low teens on milage as well.

What does the following stand for:
OBP
HPOP

Thanks!

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
2000 F350 Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4wd
1,425 Posts
HPOP is "High Pressure Oil Pump"

Not sure on the other.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
:welcome1: Welcome to the ORG.!

Did you mean OBS? Old body style.

The low temp is common. Mine sits between the N and O. I have replaced the thermostat and nothing changed, so I just let it ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.. What temp stats go in these things?

It just sucks because it seems to take forever to get the thing up to speed when its cold. I dont have time to let it sit and idle in the driveway for 15 minutes before I leave the house.

I forgot to mention that I am in central Florida.... So "cold starts" are occuring in the 70's-high 80's for ambient temp.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome to the fourm. A diesel motor needs to be warmed up all the way to run to its fullest capablity. A reson why its kinda slow getting to speed, but man do they run liked a raped ape once they are warmed up. "Coldstarts in the 70's" WOW

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hi All...
Im new to the diesel thing, but have been building turbo gasoline cars since the early 90's.

I just got a 97 last week. Already got a turbo back on it last night :D
But I got some questions:

First, where is the temp gauge supposed to sit normally? Mine BARELY gets into the normal range, and that even takes a while. I'm wondering if someone took the thermostat out. When I go to leave in the morning, the first 4 or 5 miles the truck runs weak because i guess the EBPV is staying closed to warm up the truck, but while its doing this its blowing smoke like a freight train. Once it gets past that it seems to run ok, but I'm in the low teens on milage as well.

What does the following stand for:
OBP
HPOP

Thanks!
mine doesnt get that warm eithier, i think its a ford thing . cause neither does my ranger the old 87 or my dads 99.5:dunno:

and that is the reason why i wired up my EBPV up as an exaust brake:thumb: was because i was tired of it kicking on and off and. mine also has a little blue smoke to it in the mornings till it gets up to good temp.

:ORG welcome::rockwoot:

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
:welcome1: Welcome to the ORG.!

Did you mean OBS? Old body style.

The low temp is common. Mine sits between the N and O. I have replaced the thermostat and nothing changed, so I just let it ride.
Same thing this fella said.
Craig

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
welcome. what color smoke is it blowing while its cold?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its blowing bluish smoke when its cold...

How does wiring up the EBPV as a brake help the warm up? Does it disable the restricted exhaust flow thing when its cold? I just wish the thing had a conventional wastegate.

Tomorrow if I remember Im gonna go scan the ECU and see what codes are in it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its blowing bluish smoke when its cold...

How does wiring up the EBPV as a brake help the warm up? Does it disable the restricted exhaust flow thing when its cold? I just wish the thing had a conventional wastegate.

Tomorrow if I remember Im gonna go scan the ECU and see what codes are in it.

check to see if the warn up valve is op , and see if there are thromo's in it , and the temp. gauge is a ford thing.
how is the K&N intake working out

·
Registered
26 Posts
The low temps are because the Powerstoke is born and bred to work. IE;heavy loads , towing, etc. if you ain't working it , you won't see much in the way of water temps.

Just wire the back-pressure valve open and drive it easy for the first couple of blocks when you take off after the engine sits long enough to be cool. All you really need is for the oil to be flowing good bhefore you romp on it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
how do you wire the ebvp as a brake and what does it do is it a exhaust brake

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
how do you wire the ebvp as a brake and what does it do is it a exhaust brake
yes it works as an exhaust brake, it just closes the "baffle" causing the truck to slow down driving downhill. check out the 7.3 mod files, i believe there is a writeup on it. the best beniefit to this is not riding my brakes all the time. increases brake pad life tremendously:thumb:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, its been a bit since I posted, sorry. Didnt mean to be one of those that comes, asks a question, then leaves.

I pulled codes last weekend. I had three. One I forget, one was a CMP intermittant, and one was P0470. Something about an exhaust backpressure sensor(?) malfunction? where the hell is that?

I cleared the codes, and P0470 came back immediately.

I guess I could wire the EBPV as you say..I just need to get some gauges before I go messing with it. Guess I'll go for boost, pyro, and OIL temp...

·
Registered
553 Posts
for the exaust brake all you have to do is wire a 12v power to one of the wires. have to test to see which one. then i mounted mine on my shifter.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
OBP= on base percentage :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts