Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have a 2004 6.0. 153k miles

A few months ago it was bulletproofed with new oil cooler, water pump, head gaskets (machined and o-ring), seals and o-rings from the block up.

2 days ago in Woodland Park, CO, I went into the store and came back out and there was oil EVERYWHERE on the passenger side from the side of the truck to the wheel and wheel walls. I see what is wrong and the Sinister Diesel Oil Bypass filter came loose.

So I took it off, cleaned it up and noticed the threaded thing that you screw the bypass filter on was loose. So I tightened it and then put the oil bypass filter back on.

Mind you, before all this happened the truck ran perfect. Of course after I get everything back together I start driving from Woodland Park to Monument (20-25 mins) and the bastard wants to surge and hesitate at high rpms on the highway.

I get to Monument and I have about 1/4 tank of gas, I throw some Howes Diesel in the take (about 3-4 ounces of that) and I get back on the highway. Still hesitates when I WOT and it felt like it was starving for fuel. Like it would bog itself down but then be fine.

I arrive back in the national Forrest in Woodland Park, let it run to charge my camper for about an hour. Temps look good, everything looks good, FICM, ICP pressure, EOT and ECT temps, I mean everything checked out.

I go to start it in the AM, battery is dead. So I have someone jump me. It took a while to crank but finally cranked over then dies! At this point I’m about to use this puppy for my next bonfire. I’m fed up at this point.

Finally I get it to crank over and stay running for 15-20 seconds for it to start to die and the truck revs itself back up and then dies.

Today Nov. 12. 2020, now it’s at a crank and no start.

I do know the batteries aren’t as strong, here on the mountains it’s been max 45 degrees with the lows being 10-15.

I do have my typical EGR codes because it does have the delete. I have a #5 glow plug code and a small passenger side exhaust manifold leak that’s been there since I got it back from the shop.

The truck has ran like a champ even with those codes. So now I’m stuck at a no start with no codes. And I did try unplugging the ICP, still no start. I’m limited to funds and resources as I still am stuck on this mountain.

The picture below is KOEO and before I unplugged ICP.

I swear, it amazes me beyond belief that one thing could shake loose and boom, everything else decides to fail.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s the secondary filter correct? I did check that and it has fuel. I did add a little more oil and 2 gallons of fuel from my jug.

I’m going to try and get a battery pack today and jump it along with my girlfriends car. Maybe the batteries are just weak, but I did get a good 5-7 cranks last night and still no start.

Last night it was 10 degrees. Right now it’s about 40-45. Maybe that will help?

· Premium Member
5,105 Posts
What is your ICP and iPR readings when cranking? This sounds like a good excuse for a fuel pressure gauge. Do you at least hear your fuel pump kick on when you turn the key on?

If you get it running, fill the tank up and put some fuel treatment with antigel in there.

-jokester

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The
What is your ICP and iPR readings when cranking? This sounds like a good excuse for a fuel pressure gauge. Do you at least hear your fuel pump kick on when you turn the key on?

If you get it running, fill the tank up and put some fuel treatment with antigel in there.

-jokester

The ICP was 5 PSI when usually it’s like 560-575 PSI. Idk how to get my IPR readings, how do I get those?

And yes, I did remove the fuel cap and have someone turn the key and I hear the fuel pump. I also hear the injectors going from a slow pace to fast pace.

I will do that today.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the upper fuel bowl for fuel. You also didn't say if you refilled the oil. How about adding fuel, are you still at a 1/4 tank?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk
That’s the secondary filter correct? I did check that and it has fuel. I did add a little more oil and 2 gallons of fuel from my jug.

I’m going to try and get a battery pack today and jump it along with my girlfriends car. Maybe the batteries are just weak, but I did get a good 5-7 cranks last night and still no start.

· Registered
2,176 Posts

You have a pressure leak somewhere, I'm guessing in the hpo system, but don't rule out the fuel system either.
If the upper bowl has fuel, then move to hpo system. Do a pressure test through the ipr port, most likely you've blown an oring in that system and are leaking off pressure, causing your injectors to not fire.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m changing the IPR
sensor as we speak and came across this bolt and black wire that must have broke. Does anyone know what this ground goes to?
I circled the wire and the hole that the bolt goes into.

Sorry for all the PB Blaster everywhere. Lol.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ground connection for the injector harness shielding.

Could that cause a no start? Because my IPR does not look bad.....but yet the ICP sensor reads 5psi when plugged in instead of 550psi.

and I already tried unplugging it, still no difference in terms of no start.

· Registered
4,842 Posts
If you could give the FICM volts, the IPR%, and the ICP, that would help.

I don't know if it would cause a no start, but I would suspect it would crank funny, like a skip if one injector was dead.

The fuel injector harness ground I removed, I remember being a braided grounding cable. I don't recognize that wire.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you could give the FICM volts, the IPR%, and the ICP, that would help.

I don't know if it would cause a no start, but I would suspect it would crank funny, like a skip if one injector was dead.

The fuel injector harness ground I removed, I remember being a braided grounding cable. I don't recognize that wire.
That makes sense. I just don’t Know where to go from here. Idk have a voltage reader or anything and stuck in the mountains. I’ll have to have a auto part store test the IPR sensor, but it doesn’t look bad so idk why I have a no start. Before unplugging my ICP it read 5psi. And from what I know, a bad IPR will cause the ICP to read bad also.

· Registered
4,842 Posts
The auto parts store may sell a scangauge which will read those codes. There’s also downloadable Software that you can get on your phone along with purchasing a Bluetooth adapter for the port,

Without those codes, you’re really just guessing.

I hope someone else can comment on that black wire. It’s been a while since I’ve been I that area of the engine.

· Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Is that a small tear in the lower left 1/3 of that IPR screen? If so, something might still be stuck up in there.

-jokester

· Registered
2,176 Posts
What do the orings look like on that? If they're torn/nicked at all, that can cause a no start. That screen is a bit dirty, time for an oil change and go ahead and clean the inside of the ipr, just to make sure nothing is in there

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a picture of the screen on my IPR. I didn’t even know this until I held it up to the sun. Is this thing clogged up?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
are you in the middle of a campsite ?
Yup. In the one stuck in the mountains. Lol. Pike National Forrest. I’m with my camper. Can’t get down from here until I get the truck to start. But here I am doing all this diagnostic stuff and never thought to hold the screen up to light. Without lighting the screen looks fine.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.