Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking around this site, Ive seen a few posts from others using solar panels to charge their batteries (as the truck sits for a longer period of time).

My question: Having my truck sit (for a week sometimes), is it safe to install a solar panel on a permanent basis and leave it constantly plugged in? Im not looking to unplug it ever again.

·
Premium Member
19,948 Posts
It might depend on what panel system you get. I have smaller one for my 5th wheel that keeps the batteries topped off when we aren't using it. Doesn't have a regulator. Some larger ones may require a regulator. If you get one with a regulator, I don't know what the charging system in the truck might do to the regulator circuitry.

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
19,948 Posts
I would think you should be good to go!

I have a 5W version (also shown on that page that I use on my 5th wheel)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Thanks for the response! Here is what I am currently using. Its a small 1.8w (max) charger. I think this one has a built in regulator. Not too sure. Solar 1.8 W 12V Battery Maintainer - 8500046 | Tractor Supply Company
I have one of those for my father's lawn tractor. I don't think it has a regulator but you would need to park on the sun for it to over charge our batteries. It puts out a whopping .15 amps...our batteries are in the 600-1000 amp range but it should help keep the batteries topped off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts