Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL,DR; If I try to rebuild the motor myself, what should I upgrade, what vendors would you recommend and about how much money should I expect to shell out for a DIY job?

Long Story:

I bought this truck just a couple months ago, and have dumped a huge load of time and money into it already, suspension work, oil cooler, egr/dpf delete, H&S MiniMax (but running stock tune) 5th wheel install, new tires, rear brakes, axle seals, 10" radio, back-up camera...just tons of work. So I have a lot of time and money in this truck already.

The whole point was to make the truck as reliable as possible before my road trip (hence the stock tune + egr/dpf delete, along with the oil cooler and all the other maintenance.)

However, pulling a hill on I-80 east of Wells, NV I heard a loud gush of air, and oil sprayed out all over the right side of the truck. So I pulled over, looked under the hood and saw the rear most glow plug cap blown out on the passenger side. Got the truck and 5th wheel towed, and this morning got the news from the shop that I have lost compression on one of the cylinders, so I have a borked piston or rings or something along those lines.

Shop quoted $18k for a Ford drop in replacement, and I didn't even spend that much on the truck, so just..no.

If I go at this myself, say I pull the motor, get it machined assuming its salvageable, how in depth should I go? What do I do for better pistons, since those are a weak point on these things? Should I spend the money and replace the HPFP? Do I have the injectors serviced or just replaced? What else should I consider doing while I'm in there with that motor to beef it up as much as possible? And finally, is it worth doing, how much is it going to cost for me to do it all myself?

I'm having a bit of sunken cost fallacy. All the time and effort I've put into the truck has me more attached to keeping it. But also, this thing has been a giant turd and I'm already on the phone with my insurance company to see if I can write the thing off, and never, ever buy a Ford again, because this has by far been the absolute worst vehicle I've ever owned. (It had death wobble, oil cooler issues, and now this...in the couple months I've owned it) It's already a money pit, I've spent more on it than it's worth. And now I'll have to spend thousands more on it to keep it going. So the question stands, do I bother?

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
Personally.... My two choices for a 6.4l is a cummins diesel conversion kit or sell and look for a 2014 or newer 6.7l Cummins or Powerstroke. I challenge you to do some heavy reading on this forum and others to see the work people put into 6.4ls only to have them go again sooner than later... The 6.4l is a throwaway platform that was made for 2.5yrs. The early 2011-2013 6.7ls had some issues but by late 2013 they were seen as the new versions of the 7.3l powerstroke/5.9l cummins.

Read and read here and other place get away from the 6.4l engine by cutting your losses now or spending money on a used 5.9 cummins and maybe 3-4k on a cummins swap conversion kit. Most by deisel conversion come with everything except the engine needed.

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
747 Posts
Nearly $20K for a replacement engine, you say? Huh.

I feel for your situation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im no 6.4 guru, but i will say they get a worse rep than they deserve. The 18K you got quoted is insane, you should price it out with other diesel shops(avoid ford dealerships, they will destroy you wallet without good reason). Mine will do 1 for a little over half that, with de lipped pistons which is what you’ll want to use. I’d say if you’re deleted and have been for a while there is a chance you can reuse alot of the parts on your current motor, certainly no guarantee there till you take a look at things. If the 12v 6bt didnt sound like a tap dancing dinosaur I’d recommend a swap. But thats all up to you. My main recommendation is pricing out replacement motors with de lipped pistons(something maxxx they’re called) and head studs.... I personally really enjoy my 6.4.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm currently getting quotes to get it towed home, if I fix it, I'm doing it myself. Which I'm leaning towards. A swap to a different motor is out of the question, I kind of hate aftermarket stuff, and swaps and all that stuff and I try to avoid it as much as possible. The only reason I have the tuner at all is because I need it for the EGR/DPF delete, otherwise I would have stuck with the stock tune.

Im no 6.4 guru, but i will say they get a worse rep than they deserve. The 18K you got quoted is insane, you should price it out with other diesel shops(avoid ford dealerships, they will destroy you wallet without good reason). Mine will do 1 for a little over half that, with de lipped pistons which is what you’ll want to use. I’d say if you’re deleted and have been for a while there is a chance you can reuse alot of the parts on your current motor, certainly no guarantee there till you take a look at things. If the 12v 6bt didnt sound like a tap dancing dinosaur I’d recommend a swap. But thats all up to you. My main recommendation is pricing out replacement motors with de lipped pistons(something maxxx they’re called) and head studs.... I personally really enjoy my 6.4.
I think you mean the Maxx-Force pistons. Are those already de-lipped, or is that an additional service that needs to be done? I've seen the pistons, I've seen the service, but it's all a little confusing about how the whole sausage goes together.

I keep seeing rebuild kits from aftermarket makers and I don't think I want any of those. I want Ford parts everywhere possible, anyone have an idea what all the gaskets/pistons etc would cost for a full refresh from Ford?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Go to Ashville engines and check out what they have. If your heads are good you can save some $, but I'd say you're looking at 10k to replace it. I doubt you'd save much doing the build yourself (and chance a higher failure rate).

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
from everything thing I've read, watched and observed in person the 6.4L is the worst of the recent Powerstrokes. Inhereits some of the 6.0L issues and then was the first generation to begin major emission requirements. Navistar built it as a throw away motor due to their contract dispute with Ford and knowing the end was near. I have a relative who has one with just over 100k miles and has a lot of issues. I have 118k issue free miles on my 2015 6.7L and I put 180k issue free miles on my 2007 6.0L. I'm sorry that you've got so much invested already but in my opinion you're just polishing a turd.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yess Maxx force pistons are what you’ll want for piece of mind. My understanding is that they are factory de lipped pistons that got placed in the really heavy duty 6.4. Ive never priced out an entire rebuild. If i ever needed to do the bottom end i would buy a short block with the maxx force pistons installed...Doing your own 6.4 rebuild is no easy undertaking. But i dont want to discourage you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go to Ashville engines and check out what they have. If your heads are good you can save some $, but I'd say you're looking at 10k to replace it. I doubt you'd save much doing the build yourself (and chance a higher failure rate).
I took a look, looks like they're using the Victor-Reinz gasket sets I want to avoid, found a lot of posts about those head gaskets failing, and generally, I prefer to stick to OEM where possible, unless we have a situation where the OEM part is garbage, like the factory pistons vs the Maxx-Force versions. I'm not afraid of doing engine rebuilds, I've done them before. Getting the engine out and back in is going to be the fun part. I already did the oil cooler cab-on and that was an adventure.

Can anyone recommend a good shop for injector work, and servicing the high pressure fuel pump, a new one is a grand, and if I'm in there... ugh.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
If it were me, I’d sleep on it over the weekend, and start pricing out everything next week. In 4 hours you’ve gone from wondering if you even want to bother, to rebuilding it yourself.

It sounds to me like you’re making an emotional decision and are still to PO’d at the whole thing to make a good rational decision.

Sleep on it for a few days. Make a good informed decision. It may take you a couple of weeks to sort through where you are, and where you need to go. Big expense even doing it yourself. Not talking you out of or into anything. Just putting some perspective on it.

Sunk costs are just that. Don’t look back, look at what you have going forward.

That’s my 2c, Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2008 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson 6.4 Dynamic Diesel stage 1 kit, ODD Intake, and way more. 💨
1,537 Posts
Kill devil diesel complete long block. And be done with it. With warranty. ON EVERYTHING.

Don’t even try to get parts from here, there..and your “cousins buddy”

Because since you’re asking “how to build a 6.4” I’m sorry it will never last unless you have experience. Listen to someone who’s been around them since they came out.

You drive a diesel and a 6.4 at that. You either got money.. or think you doo.. if it’s the prior. Call Jared at KDD Buy a bulletproofed not only redesigned to get rid of the factory flaws like installed bronze valve guides, but blueprinted engine that is sure to last the rest of that trucks life. And focus your time on something else.

You try and build it. Every time it makes a weird noise you’ll be paranoid and have a 60 of Whiskey under your bed because you won’t sleep.. Trust Me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it were me, I’d sleep on it over the weekend, and start pricing out everything next week. In 4 hours you’ve gone from wondering if you even want to bother, to rebuilding it yourself.

It sounds to me like you’re making an emotional decision and are still to PO’d at the whole thing to make a good rational decision.

Sleep on it for a few days. Make a good informed decision. It may take you a couple of weeks to sort through where you are, and where you need to go. Big expense even doing it yourself. Not talking you out of or into anything. Just putting some perspective on it.

Sunk costs are just that. Don’t look back, look at what you have going forward.

That’s my 2c, Good luck with it.
This is definitely what's going on, but no worries, I won't be pulling the trigger on doing anything but getting the truck towed home. It'll be a few days for sure before I do anything.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I say sell it. 6.7 will make you happier in the long run. Not only the money aspect of rebuilding it, but the time delay as well. Covid, half the nation under blizzards and storms. You might be waiting a good while before you get it finished

·
Registered
2008 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson 6.4 Dynamic Diesel stage 1 kit, ODD Intake, and way more. 💨
1,537 Posts
I say sell it. 6.7 will make you happier in the long run. Not only the money aspect of rebuilding it, but the time delay as well. Covid, half the nation under blizzards and storms. You might be waiting a good while before you get it finished
I can’t imagine what you guys are going through. Pray for you guys!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I can’t imagine what you guys are going through. Pray for you guys!

I’d say 6.7 too especially if the OP doesn’t have funds to make a reliable 6.4 but let’s just play like he wants a 6.4 lol!!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I’d say 6.7 too especially if the OP doesn’t have funds to make a reliable 6.4 but let’s just play like he wants a 6.4 lol!!!

Just too bad they cant make the power a 6.4 can opposed to a 6.7 with respectable mods. And sustainable reliability.

When intwined with a reliable engine.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,317 Posts
No. Buy my 2004.5 ram 2500 cummins for 12k and do a cummins swap.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts