Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pushin around the 37's with stock gears (3.73's or whatever) for a while now... and once in a while, while accelerating, something in teh driveline will slip.. the engne will free rev, then BANG back into engagement... after it does this 2-3 times the tranny light blinks and the trans goes into limp mode...

is it the convertor or the trans ???

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
EEEyyeeeww!! That doesn't sound good at all. Is it when you are accelerating hard(flooring it)? or just random? Have you had your speedo re-calibrated?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EEEyyeeeww!! That doesn't sound good at all. Is it when you are accelerating hard(flooring it)? or just random? Have you had your speedo re-calibrated?
makes this noise any time im accelerating...

no i have not recalibrated the speedo, i don't know how.

·
Conservative and Proud
14,493 Posts
check the fluid level, and if the od light flashes and going into failure mode have the codes pulled, when a trans falls out of gear at times , makes me think the fluid is low, but it should also have a code or codes stored in memory
That's what mine was doing and it wasn't the tranny itself but the pump which in turn destroyed the tranny.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
When's the last time you serviced your tranny? The solenoids get really cranky when the fluid gets gunked up. Ford says 30K for a flush but I change my toilet paper roll about every 10K. The fluid looks spotless and Blackstone says the add package is really good.

One more thing....try reloading your stock program and then go back to your SCT program. Sometimes the TCM has brain farts and throws trash codes and reloading the program helps.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a F-150 that did the same thing and it was the tranny that was bad, when I would go to pull out it would rev like it was in nutural and then it would catch.I would have it checked out before driving it anymore before it leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny, I was talking to the tech that services my truck and he told me just to change the filters and not the transmission oil. This is from a dealership tech.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can also re calibrate your speedo with the super chips tirepaq..... very easy to use..... but i would recommend gears first......
not doing gears... the tirepaq wont for work my 37's... anyone know how to do it in teh SCT tuner software ??

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When's the last time you serviced your tranny? The solenoids get really cranky when the fluid gets gunked up. Ford says 30K for a flush but I change my toilet paper roll about every 10K. The fluid looks spotless and Blackstone says the add package is really good.

One more thing....try reloading your stock program and then go back to your SCT program. Sometimes the TCM has brain farts and throws trash codes and reloading the program helps.
Flushed it about 9,000 miles ago when i had a problem with the tranny temp sensor (it was bugging out and had to be replaced) fluid was replaced at that time... anything else involved in the service ???

also, i've noticed its VERY easy to re-create this problem when the tranny fluid is cool (as in when ive just started teh truck, drivin long enough for the coolant to be up to temp, but the trans fluid is still just above the lowest peg on teh guage...)... but it happens sporadically when the fluid is at normal running temp (middle of guage)

·
LTJDS
553 Posts
First........

Your OEM tranny gauge is a BIG JOKE.
U need a dedicateed tranny gauge and a good Pyrometer at the very MINIMUN.
If you have an SCT , return to stock mode drive at varying speeds at least 20-30 min some time should include Highway (no stoping at 60-80 MPH)
Then let her cool down Again the OEM tranny gauge on your Instument cluster is worthless ! ! ! after lettin her cool down ( and considering that nothing happened during your stock tuned Drive) Re-Load your SCT File.
If this does not fix your ISSUES or, it was still acting up in stock mode, It may be at best a valvebody issue possibly still under Dealer Warranty, At worst your out of warranty and if it is yor Tranny and you do get er dun'
Add an isolated or combination GAUGE or GAUGES b-4 you go AGAIN
Many , many people do not realize How important keepin your tranny fluid under 200F* max preferably under 180F* max is I run a MagHytek Tranny Pan which comes with the temp sending port already threaded and plugged from the time of purchase. If yo pull the tranny add a New Pan one that will allow you to install temp sending units and add additional fluid like my MagHytek, My pan adds I think an additional 7-8 qts. and is finned for cooling.
My trany temps run 125-140 HIGHWAY AT 85-90 avg speed w/o trailer, and in the city running an Extreme/Race tune 24/7 which locks my TC in 1st ,2nd, and 3rd, She rarely gets above 180F* in South Fla HEAT. Good Luck.
PS: Stop thinking your OEM tranny temp gauge on your instrument cluster is anything more than a USELESS DUMBY STICK !.......:thumb:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Flushed it about 9,000 miles ago when i had a problem with the tranny temp sensor (it was bugging out and had to be replaced) fluid was replaced at that time... anything else involved in the service ???
That brings up a question, maybe a dumb one, but one worth re-assuring. What fluid went back in it? Type,weight, etc.?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That brings up a question, maybe a dumb one, but one worth re-assuring. What fluid went back in it? Type,weight, etc.?
work was done at the dealer... by a ford trans tech... so i'd "assume" the right stuff ... but there no way to know 100%... i'll flush it again soon....can anyone make any reccomendations as to brand or anything ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your OEM tranny gauge is a BIG JOKE.
U need a dedicateed tranny gauge and a good Pyrometer at the very MINIMUN.
If you have an SCT , return to stock mode drive at varying speeds at least 20-30 min some time should include Highway (no stoping at 60-80 MPH)
Then let her cool down Again the OEM tranny gauge on your Instument cluster is worthless ! ! ! after lettin her cool down ( and considering that nothing happened during your stock tuned Drive) Re-Load your SCT File.
If this does not fix your ISSUES or, it was still acting up in stock mode, It may be at best a valvebody issue possibly still under Dealer Warranty, At worst your out of warranty and if it is yor Tranny and you do get er dun'
Add an isolated or combination GAUGE or GAUGES b-4 you go AGAIN
Many , many people do not realize How important keepin your tranny fluid under 200F* max preferably under 180F* max is I run a MagHytek Tranny Pan which comes with the temp sending port already threaded and plugged from the time of purchase. If yo pull the tranny add a New Pan one that will allow you to install temp sending units and add additional fluid like my MagHytek, My pan adds I think an additional 7-8 qts. and is finned for cooling.
My trany temps run 125-140 HIGHWAY AT 85-90 avg speed w/o trailer, and in the city running an Extreme/Race tune 24/7 which locks my TC in 1st ,2nd, and 3rd, She rarely gets above 180F* in South Fla HEAT. Good Luck.
PS: Stop thinking your OEM tranny temp gauge on your instrument cluster is anything more than a USELESS DUMBY STICK !.......:thumb:
i figured as much about the gauge.... i will look into the aftermarket pan, and will add a gauge.. then follow your advice...

Currently, with the stock tune in it, it slips on shifts and when any kind of power is applied.. im gonna change out the fluid and then go through all you said and see what's up at that point.

Thanks for the post man!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
also what are anyones thoughts on an aftermarket transmission cooler ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts