Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to bring back the ride quality of my '03 F-350. It is standard ride height. I currently have original Rancho RS9000s with the incab remote and was sort of wanting to stick with the new XLs. I drive empty alot but also haul a slide in camper and tow up to 10k. Are the real high quality shocks only for lifted trucks?

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
A set of factory replacement bilsteins will be your best bet. They are the smoothest riding factory shock IMO.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Everyone will have a difference of opinion....mine is,...

King
Icon
and at the very last possible resort...Bilstein,...they ride great, but corrode like crap quickly.

I'd take a "white body" Rancho over a Bilstein

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I always keep hearing about bilstien, i have them (not the yellow replacement ones) and i bounce around like no other..... i got mine with them so not real sure about them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Kings and Icons that I have been able to view on the web all seem to be for lifted trucks. So Tanks what is your opinion of the newer upgraded Rancho 9000XLs. Do you think they would be worth while?

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
as with everything on this planet,...you get what you pay for,...I have never used Rancho 9000xls.....ask around,...I'm sure someone has,...and they'll give you feed back.

Just make sure, when you listen to whatever anyone tells you,...that they are running the exact same set-up as you..IE...Year, make, lift, etc etc etc ,..

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
I have used Bilsteins , Rancho and others...get properly valved Bilsteins. As far as corroding, some series are painted..std and #5150's, others can just be painted with clear if you live in a area that uses salt on the roads..or just clean them once in a while...painting is easier.

Cary

·
Premium Member
365 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
snoboy,
What psi in the bags are you running unloaded?

Bilstein's are a great riding shock and you can also look at Sulastic shackles:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/vendor-jungle/41729-sulastic-rubber-springs.html

We sell both products and have great customer feed back from people that have used them together. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nor-Cal Nick

I'm runnig 10 psi in the bags when empty. Is the $350.00 for each spring or the whole truck? I'm assuming one uses 4 of these, one per leaf spring?

snoboy

·
Registered
221 Posts
you could only use these on the rear i believe. I wonder if they affect the capacity of the truck??? very interested, my 1-ton rides like a 1-ton:doh:

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
FYI, Bilstein is phasing in the new coating.."triple C", 1000 hr salt test which is over what the painted ones have to pass. All shocks made in the USA are shipping that way from the production plant. Made in Germany shocks are being changed and will have a H6 code.

It may take awhile till the current warehouse inventory is shipped and you may not get a shock with the coating till ...

A $5 can of clear epoxy is still a good idea.

Cary

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I'm runnig 10 psi in the bags when empty. Is the $350.00 for each spring or the whole truck? I'm assuming one uses 4 of these, one per leaf spring?

snoboy

1 pr for the rear is what you need. We just installed them in my buddy's F350 dually and he was thought I was full of crap about a better ride. All we installed was 2.5" coil spacer, 4x Zinc Bilstein's and Sulastic's. He pulls a 5er and he said that with the trailer loaded like normal his truck sat the same but 2.5" higher in the front and over all tailer from the larger 295's. BUT the truck dropped the same, on the over load like normal.

Bottom line I came across the Sulastic shackles about 3 years ago but never had sold them because we where doing nothing but big lifts. Now a days we have a ton of customers that tow and have mild size trucks looking for better riding trucks. We started installing a ton of these shackles on GM/Chevys and sold a ton on the Internet. The GM/Chevy guys on there forum are eating these up like crazy. I have them on my dually as well. If any of you are on the fence please call me and I'm happy to see what I can do on pricing to get you Ford guys on this product. Anyone that is willing to spend $350.00 to make there ride better will completely be happy with the money spent. I prefer to use these shackles with Bilstein's for the fact I know Bilstein's have a really nice valving that complements the shackles for the best ride.

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I went ahead and ordered the Rancho XLs. I talked with the tech at Rancho and he gave me decent enough pitch to convince me that the new Xtra Large shocks were an improvement over the older ones to try them again. At least I already have the remote kit installed so all I have to do is swap shocks and screw the fitting on. I think I'll spray a little LPS in the piston before I install the air fittings. I also have an entire Energy Suspensions sway bar bushing kit and track bar bushing kit on the way. So once I do all this the only thing left is ball joints (already got the kit). I am still considering leaf spring bushings but I think they still have some miles left on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts