Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy yall, since winter my truck has smoked blue smoke 2 start up. But now it has warmed up here in Alberta, an it still blows blue for the first 2 or 3 minutes after starting.
Are my injecters going, or my motor is on its way out? The truck runs good lots of power as normal.
Any help back would be greatly apprieciated. Cheers
:icon_ford:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah it kinda sounds like injectors. I think there might be some other factors to consider though. For instance, is this only on cold startup? If you say driver for 30 mintues say on the highway, park for about 15 and then fire back up does it still smoke blue? Also in the mornings when say its below freezing and you haven't driven since the day before is your exhaust white for a little (condensation) while then blue or is it just blue and then clears up after warming up a bit? I don't live in too cold a climate but most times though if I haven't driven about a day or so and then fire up I will get a little bit of bluish black smoke for a few seconds and then it goes away. Also are you burning up a lot of oil? How often to you top off with another quart of oil? If you got bad injectors then you probably will be burning through a quart every 300-500 miles (saw that you were from Canada ummm maybe 500 to 750 km).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Blue is not an indication of injectors; black or grey is, blue is engine oil. Check the outbound side of the crankcase breather with the engine running, warm and at idle, a lot of puffing or excess pressure/volume indicates blowby, either rings or piston damage. The hose from this connects into the turbo inlet to allow the engine to eat these gasses. Second check is the turbo, exhaust side, if considerable oiling in the volute around the blading could be looking at seal failure and time for a replacement. Beyond that could be valve guide seals but doubtful.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the delay on gettin back about this, and thanks for the info, also here are a few more symptoms.

It only smokes when I let it sit for 8 hours or so 2 start ups.

It does puff a small cloud of blue smoke when I put the hammer down.:icon_ford:

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Are you sure it is blue, and not grey? My '96 blows grey smoke that can be percieved as blue when I hammer on it and when starting below +10C, but it's not consuming any oil. I'd be keeping a close eye on the dipstick before panicking. I know it's above freezing here in Alberta now, but still a little on the chilly side as far as a diesel is concerned.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No strait blue for about 3 mins after sitting for around 8 hours.:doh::ford:

Hows the water methanol treatin u?????

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not to contradict anyone here,but blue smoke could most definetly be your injector seals.High pressure engine oil is what fires our injectors.So if you have a bad seal,the oil could end up in your combustion chamber.This would create blue smoke.How's your oil consumption?If it's not excessive,then i wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It hasnt burnt a drop of oil. I always run synthetic also.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also the longer that it sits the longer it will blow blue for. I didnt drive it for two days, when I fired it up this morning it smoked for longer then normal.
:icon_ford:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey my truck blows blue for a bit when it starts up after sitting for a day or two. I live in Saskatchewan here and it also runs a bit rough for the first bit as well, but once it has warmed up it has great power and everything is normal. Is yours run rough when started.

·
Registered
247 Posts
This sounds like the same problem I am trying to fix right now! Mine is a 01 with 137-k miles and I am in Texas and the weather has been in the 60's to 70's for weeks now.
After setting overnight or even a few hours, it will smoke a blue/gray color for 5 mins. or so. I ahve been told everthing and still can't figure it out. I was told to plug it in for a few hours then re-start and see if it smoked or not. I did this and NO SMOKE! But what now!:dunno: Does this mean, glow plug relay, glow plugs??? The guys that told me to plug it in, said to try the relay first, so I did! (stole the part off of my other stroker that does not smoke) and as of now it had really light smoke for a min or so after setting a few hours. Letting it set overnight and try in the morning..

Any other ideas??? Does not seem to be using oil, no blow-by to speak of, maybe a small stream out of the cap, but NOT PUFFING and none out of the dip stick tube!
Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
It appears to me that everyone has textbook signs of glow plug failure. my 96 had three weak plugs and that caused blue smoke and a loud idle, also the smoke was harsh, it would burn your eyes. If you do end up changing glow plugs while your in there check the torque on the injector hold-down bolts because I found some that were only finger tight which could have caused the problem but not likely since oil usually to leaks into the fuel rather then into the cylinder. The best way to check for leaky o rings is to pull the fuel filter and look for signs of oil in the fuel, black filter or opaque dark fuel in the fuel bowl.

STROKER

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here is an update on mine! Did not plug it in last night, started this morning (temp in the low 60's) and smoked until temp gauge got to right at a 1/4 of the way up! Changed fuel filter this morning and was fuel in bowl was clean, re checked oil and it is also still full and pretty clean.

So, if I am going to sell this thing, how can I find out which glow plugs to replace to get it to stop smoking or do I just need to replace all of them????? This is a 2001 model!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mine runs smooth after start up, but if i try to drive it before say 3 to 5 mins of running, after sitting awhile or over night :icon_ford:it will knock like a mofo.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well mine dosnt miss or lack of power but when the temp gauge is just starting to raise say 2 mins after start up it will knock hard at the lower rpms(1200-1700) If im trying to drive it.

:doh:Like when a guy is late for work:burnout

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I do start to drive it when its still smoking it stops blowing blue right of way

·
Registered
601 Posts
pretend you dont see it and drive it:thumb:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine is being FIXED TODAY! I plugged it in Sunday night, started up Monday morning and NO SMOKE AT ALL! Having glow plugs installed today!:icon_ford:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so its the glow plugs not the relay? How much did u pay for them, an didi u replace them all? Also did u plug it into a computer to get a code?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts