Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm troubleshooting some running hot under load and coolant loss issues, and wanted a few opinions on some smoke @ startup. Initial white poof followed by blue, then clears up. Never any visible smoke, etc while driving.

Oil analysis has always come back great. No clear contamination in degas. Lost about a pint of coolant pulling 14,000# +- 300miles in last 2 trips. Deleted, studded by PO. Power and overall running is good, tops out 26-28psi boost. I've got a coolant pressure gauge that's not exceptionally accurate but shows I re-build about 2psi after bleeding off from 13psi, unloaded, I haven't done this with 5th wheel on it.

Driving hard under load coolant pressure is 15-18psi on the Auber gauge, which is in bounds of reality. Doesn't "spike" more than 1psi or so. Slowly builds and slowly comes back.

Next step is to pressurize it cold and look really any leaks, but there's no crust or buildup that I've seen so I'm fairly confident coolant is being burned. Will also do a contribution test in the next couple weeks to get a sense of injector health.

I'm leaning to a cracked head as likely culprit, but hoping to get some other opinions before I dig all the way to headgaskets. I run this thing hard, last tandem pull I did I got EOT to 250 then backed off.

Thanks for any feedback or insight.

Attachments

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Filler info, pulled a dump trailer at around 8k lbs this morning, coolant around 14psi. Dumped it, bled pressure and in the 20miles home gained 2psi. Romping on it would go to 3psi and settle back to 2psi.

Deltas are great, 3-5 degrees unloaded.
Not acting anything like a "traditional" HG issue.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does burn a little oil over the 7500mile interval. Couple quarts thereabouts. Not happy about it, but never cared enough to pursue. My opacity (FWIW) when getting emissioned is usually 0.0.

Power I think is okay, maybe a little lower at top loading than I'd like but it's only a 6.0. For reference I was loaded to 15 to 16k going up a solid grade (15-20%) and I was 40mph pedal to the floor. Don't know of that is good, bad, or somewhere in between. Pulls that weight fine @ slight grades 65-70mph.

As far as smell, I can't distinguish it as clearly any of the Big 3. Maybe sweet, maybe fuel, probably some oil. I don't know enough exactly about these heads to know what/how something is leaking down to the cylinders.

And oh yeah, blowby is negligible if not non-existent @ or around idle. Haven't tried @ high-idle.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, 212 is low. I'm around there on a flat loaded pull. With any grade it jumps fairly quick to 220's EOT/high teens ECT. I hear the fan kick on around that 220deg mark like it should.

Next time I'm working on something, I'll finally get to the blue wire.

After it warms up today I'll get to plumb in a Schrader to pressurize and monitor. An external leak would be glorious.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmm.. cracked injector sleeve, maybe?

Attachments

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drip where egr bypass tube meets the bottom of intake manifold. Saw a little moisture in the valley and chased it uphill to the bottom of intake manifold.

Will run some archoil for a bit and see if smoke clears up.

Looks like a big maintenance weekend is in the cards:
-leak
-STP (never confirmed as upgraded)
-Dummy/Stand
-turbo clean/refresh
-???

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts