Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this 86 I got is smoking like a freight train, it's terrible, I honestly feel this thing should be faster than it is now, and it's starting to pop, sounds like detination is going on to soon, bellows white smoke from the tail pipe, kinda funny at first but blowing smoke is getting old, I'm under the assumption that I need to have it timed, so how do you time an idi/diesel? I can do a gasser by twisting the distributor, but this obviously doesn't have one thanks in advance guys

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
Look real close at the pump, you can turn it for timing, there are I think 3 different marks on it

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm not familiar with that engine but I think you got waaaay more problems than timing. And I don't think these can be timed. The piston fires at top dead center without a spark and these engine run on detonation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
I'm not familiar with that engine but I think you got waaaay more problems than timing. And I don't think these can be timed. The piston fires at top dead center without a spark and these engine run on detonation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
They are timed with the pump and the pump can be turned to adjust timing, the smoke could be from bad injectors, new ones are dirt cheap if need to be replaced

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
Or unburned fuel.....

And yes could be a gasket too, you need to smell the exhaust to see if it is sweet smelling, oil in water, water in oil

·
Registered
288 Posts
If it was blowing a ton of black smoking time would help but not with white means water

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know the gpr is bad, it smokes heavier the longer it runs tho, and I know diesels run on detination but it's popping like a gasser would in pre det, starts like a dream when warm tho, better than my psd with good everything, Shane where on the pump do I look to time? And can I do that while running like I can a gasser? Also the drivers side head has a slight water sputter on top in the valley front top corner

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
I know the gpr is bad, it smokes heavier the longer it runs tho, and I know diesels run on detination but it's popping like a gasser would in pre det, starts like a dream when warm tho, better than my psd with good everything, Shane where on the pump do I look to time? And can I do that while running like I can a gasser? Also the drivers side head has a slight water sputter on top in the valley front top corner
IDI's are known for intake gaskets leaking and I believe thats what you have going on with what you just said.

The timing marks are kind of a B to see but if you get up so you can see over the engine and look back towards the front where the pump bolts on you will see it is slotted, you can try giving it a turn to see if it makes a difference but I think you might be sucking water thru that intake leak bud

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the gasket is just pushing it out of the head, and only when at operating temp, and I only saw it once, the tail pipe smells like straight fuel not getting burnt, doesn't have a blue haze, just straight white exactly like a cold psd with bad glow plugs (my 97 isn't up to snuff in cold climates lol) but truck feels like it could be faster, I know these rigs are supposed to be the answer for the 460 back in the day, I could care less if I turbo it, hell I actually only got it to part out, it drives to nice for that tho, just gotta fix this issue now

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
Try giving it some timing, and I think injectors are about $200

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, figured I would go with bb code sticks and a turbo if I end up keeping this, been doing reading in these idi threads and those seem to be the ones people want

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ya fuel is not burning because ya burning water .. Headgaskets is the problem ..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well crap nuggets, guess I will buy new gaskets this weekend, I hate pulling heads

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
White smoke that smells like raw fuel is unburnt diesel fuel due to lack of/ or low compression in one or more cylinders. It is easy to advance the pump or turn down the fuel but first you need to do a compression test. Where have you seen the coolant coming out?

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
White smoke that smells like raw fuel is unburnt diesel fuel due to lack of/ or low compression in one or more cylinders. It is easy to advance the pump or turn down the fuel but first you need to do a compression test. Where have you seen the coolant coming out?
^^^^YUP^^^^

A bad head gasket is pretty easy to diagnose. Antifreeze smell in exhaust, low coolant, misfiring, coolant in oil...

I would go with your timing is off and or you have a bad injector(s). Try to time it first and see what happens. Pretty easy and inexpensive to turn the pump.

On a side note if you need cores for injectors i can get you some... :thumb:

·
Interior Guru
14,596 Posts
IIRC. You can always do a compression test to see if you've got a bad cylinder or if one of the head gaskets is blown before tearing into it. Do all the checks before throwing money at it.

However injectors are cheap at least

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gonna time it tomorrow evening if this guy doesn't buy it off me first, it may get traded for my purchase price plus a car, thanks for all the help guys, btw how do I do a compression test? Just fab up on to screw into the glow plug holes?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts