Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please pardon my ignorance - I'm no mechanic but I'm learning as I go and can't afford to take my truck to the dealer.

Background: 2003 6.0, EGR Delete, ARP Studs and new oil cooler about 3 yrs ago, Banks 6-gun, replaced all 8 injectors about 2 yrs ago, pulled and cleaned turbo about a year ago, only about 130k miles on the truck. I've also got a Vegistroke installed which means I've got a completely separate fuel system apart from the diesel.

Pulling an empty car hauler I noticed the truck start to smoke pretty badly - no loss of power, no other symptoms. I was running veggie oil and thought it must have something to do with that so I switched over to diesel. The only thing that happened was it smoked worse. I also dialed the Banks down to nothing - still no change. Smoked all the way home.

It was time for an oil change and a friend recommended I try Rev-X, thinking it could be a stiction issue. I changed oil the next day, then started it up. It started fine (didn't notice any smoke initially). I went to road test it and found it had almost no power whatsoever. I barely made it around the block, having to keep one foot on the go pedal to keep it from dying. It finally did die before I could back it into my driveway - BARELY ran and the little it did was like complete crap.

Started it the next day and ran fine, still little to no power, however. I was able to back it into the driveway and let it idle up to temp, then it immediately started choking and died - a typical "Dies when hot" issue. Thinking it was a High Pressure Oil issue (didn't have a scanner), I thought I'd try the least expensive options to see if I could get lucky - I relplaced the ICP sensor and the IPR valve. Huge PITA.

Time for a road test... I'll be damned - it started fine and ran GREAT! It actually started running smoother than I ever remember (possibly because of the Rev-X?). It ran great hot, too! BUT, it smokes like I'm towing a burning house - REALLY STRONG smell of diesel - both white, then black smoke. Smells like I stuck my head in a barrel of diesel. On the upside, either the new ICP or IPR fixed my No Hot Start issue.

Still, it's smoking like a SOB - you can barely see the cars behind me. It smokes on both veggie oil and diesel - so I've ruled out a fuel system problem. I gave up and ordered an AutoEnginuity scanner. I really don't know how to use it properly yet, but was able to pull these codes:

9/3/2012 04:09:12 Ford PowerStroke 6.0L 2003 Due to the vehicle's weight, this vehicle is exempt from OBD-II requirements. Therefore, IM and Mode 6 data are not available. Off Generic PowertrainGeneric Powertrain No diagnostic codes retrieved Anti-Lock BrakeAnti-Lock Brake No diagnostic codes retrieved AirbagAirbag No diagnostic codes retrieved Hybrid Electronic Cluster U1262 SCP (J1850) Communication Bus Fault B1352 Ignition key in circuit fault B1360 Ignition Switch circuit open Park AidPark Aid No response from module Overhead Trip Computer 2 B1342 (ECU) internal fault Enhanced Powertrain CAN P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input P0272 Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault P0275 Cylinder 5 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault P0278 Cylinder 6 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault P0281 Cylinder 7 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault P0284 Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected P0480 Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit P2285 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Transmission Control CANTransmission Control CAN No diagnostic codes retrieved GEM/Central Timer B1359 Ignition run / accessory circuit failure

Again, the truck runs GREAT outside of the smoking issue. There are no other symptoms except the codes it's throwing. I'm hoping it might be a bad MAF sensor but I really don't know what I'm looking at in terms of the codes and what to do based on them.

Anyone have any ideas where to go from here? Is there something more I should do with the AE? (still learning how to use the damn thing).

Based on the codes (or your experience), what should I do next?

Thanks for any help!! I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Load test batteries, perform ficm check procedure. See if you maf sensor/tube is clogged. Check your filters, motorcraft filters and caps only.

Edit: GET THE BANKS CRAP OFF THE TRUCK. Read the stickies and tech section.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Load test batteries, perform ficm check procedure. See if you maf sensor/tube is clogged. Check your filters, motorcraft filters and caps only.

Edit: GET THE BANKS CRAP OFF THE TRUCK. Read the stickies and tech section.

Haven't load tested the batteries, though I've left a charger on the truck while it's been sitting. FICM checked out with a voltage test. MAF sensor looked good, though I hit it with MAF cleaner anyway. Filters are all new/good.

Just pulled codes and got: P0284 Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault. Then I checked the oil level and it's making oil.

I know next to nothing about injectors but this appears to be a problem with #8 which I understand is driver's side, closest to the driver. My question is, is this a bad injector or can the problem be fixed with an o-ring kit (if that even exists)? Clearly there seems to be fuel spilling by the injector - I just don't know the best fix. Any ideas? :dunno:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Sounds like your injector msu have loosened up, or your oring blew .out. You need to pull that injector, most especially if your makin oil. The only other thing you can do is pull the glow plugs, pull the ficm relay, and hcfm fuse, turn the engine over and see which cylinder(s) have excessive fluid coming out. Do not put your face in front of the holes, it shoots out with great force. Must be makin excessive smoke right?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Making lots and lots of smoke. If AE only pulls a code on that cylinder, it's almost got to be that one, correct? I've never worked on injectors but just watched a youtube video - looks doable. Any special advice on pulling it? Also, once pulled, can that one be reused if just a bad o-ring or something - or should it simply be replaced at this point?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Making lots and lots of smoke. If AE only pulls a code on that cylinder, it's almost got to be that one, correct? I've never worked on injectors but just watched a youtube video - looks doable. Any special advice on pulling it? Also, once pulled, can that one be reused if just a bad o-ring or something - or should it simply be replaced at this point?
I would pull it and inspect, if it's loose, or the orings and copper washer look obviously bad, then I would replace those seals and reinstall. If there are no obvious signs of failure I would replace it, could also be a cracked injector tip.

Special advice-make sure you have a good 2" long T40 torx bit. I broke a small one, and others have lost them down the drain holes to the oil pan. Stuff tags around to keep crap from falling where you don't want it to go. Have a good torque wrench handy, it's tighter than you expect. My 04 called for 24 ft lb, I think later year called for 26 ft lb.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
I would pull it and inspect, if it's loose, or the orings and copper washer look obviously bad, then I would replace those seals and reinstall. If there are no obvious signs of failure I would replace it, could also be a cracked injector tip.

Special advice-make sure you have a good 2" long T40 torx bit. I broke a small one, and others have lost them down the drain holes to the oil pan. Stuff tags around to keep crap from falling where you don't want it to go. Have a good torque wrench handy, it's tighter than you expect. My 04 called for 24 ft lb, I think later year called for 26 ft lb.

With the new injectors I put in mine this week, Jesse Warren said to make sure that you torque them to a minimum of 31 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Southend, I'll give it a whirl and report back what I find. I may not get to it for a bit as I've been spending time with my dad in the hospital for heart failure and cancer issues, then my wife and I are expecting our 2nd kid on the 20th. Of course, my dishwasher discharge hose cracked and flooded our kitchen so I'm just wrapping up a new tiling job on that, too. When it rains...

Thanks a lot for the help - I really appreciate it!! I'll dig into it as soon as I can.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem. I have a build thread of me tearing my '05 down for head gaskets and studs and replacing all 8 injectors as well. The link is in my signature for my thread.
Great - thanks for the heads up on that. I'll be sure to check it out.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
With the new injectors I put in mine this week, Jesse Warren said to make sure that you torque them to a minimum of 31 ft/lbs.
Tuscany, you could have told us that in your build thread.......I see it's only got 11k+ hits, but it could help a few of us.

Hehehe........jk. Good info, thanks.

Maz, hope things get better for ya, dont hesitate to ask for more help.:thumbup:

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Tuscany, you could have told us that in your build thread.......I see it's only got 11k+ hits, but it could help a few of us.

Hehehe........jk. Good info, thanks.

Maz, hope things get better for ya, dont hesitate to ask for more help.:thumbup:

Yeah I'll update that for you bud lol. Not like it's going to be a sticky or anything lol.

ON EDIT: I UPDATED MY THREAD WITH INJECTOR TORQUE SPECS.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I opened her up and pulled the #8 injector. It wasn't loose, O-rings were all in place and everything looked okay on the injector, except the tip was pretty black. I went ahead and got a new injector (Tip: Tousley Ford in White Bear Lake, MN sells them online for $220 after the core. Though I live in MN, there was a dealer closer to me that matched the price so I could just swing in and pick it up - Tousley has good prices and it's worth asking your dealer if they'll match them on any parts you need to save time and shipping expense).

I installed the new injector (and had previously installed a new ICP sensor and IPR valve - My ICP was oily so I replaced it and I'm guessing the IPR valve had issues that were responsible for my "no hot start" problem which was fixed after the new IPR). After installing the new injector, it took a bit of cranking to start due to the air in the system but she fired up and ran great... AND NO MORE SMOKE!! The exhaust smells just like it's supposed to and it seems to run great.

I hope this might help anyone with similar symptoms to diagnose what's wrong with their 6.0. Thanks to everyone for your help and tips - I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
What color was the smoke? I'm chasing a smoking issue that's worse when cold, but doesn't completely go away when warm. The smoke starts to roll ~2K RPM's and goes away under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What color was the smoke? I'm chasing a smoking issue that's worse when cold, but doesn't completely go away when warm. The smoke starts to roll ~2K RPM's and goes away under hard acceleration.
Greyish/White. More noticeable was the smell of unburned diesel - smelled like I had my head in a barrel of it. Mine smoked constantly from the time it started till I shut it off - and it smoked A LOT. Have you pulled codes?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have one code, glow plug circuit cyl #4.
Hmmmm... Not sure what to tell you on that - a mechanic I'm not, though I wouldn't think a glow plug issue would cause your truck to smoke. Perhaps someone above my pay-grade could chime in.

Curious, does your exhaust smell like raw (unburnded) diesel or does it smell like your normal exhaust? What color is the smoke? Are you seeing any puking out the degas bottle? What other symptoms, if any, are you experiencing?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I have one code, glow plug circuit cyl #4.
This would likely cause white smoke at startup, on a cool day. Not all the time.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
HAHAH, pay grade comment was hilarious!

I started a thread....hoping for justinmix, m-chan68, etc those caliber of guys can shed some light. Justinmix pretty much talked me through a no-start repair 350 miles from home.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/271025-blue-smoke-takeoff.html#post3283069

I did have some puking, a stream or two down the bottle. I also have high coolant PSI, 15-16.

Bluish smoke, smells a little stronger than typical diesel exhaust, but that could be me being a little more sensitive to the smoke.

Surging when cold and boost bounces around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts