Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i did the smoke switch mode. and after that i have heard many different opinions about this.

Biggest thing is what position does it put the vanes on the turbo whenever you interupt the power to the vgt solenoid.

problem being that i heard if the vanes go full shut then that will build up back pressure and that is one of the leading causes to headgasket failure.

what are some opinions of this mod and does anyone know how the vgt solenoid works

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not if you need an excuse for a new turbo:nod:

but does anyone know more

·
Registered
283 Posts
i know from experience that after time the cgt solenoid will start to fail due to it being shorted out, i have the smoke switch mod and i never use it, just get an sct with a good custom tune and thats all the smoke youll ever need

·
Registered
742 Posts
Guess if it aint broke dont fix it and if you got the money go for it. Breaking something always gives you a reason for a upgrade if you can afford it and not worried got for it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
get ready to get hammered about "smoke is giveing diesels a bad name" because "everyone" uses it for the wrong reson... :dunno: anyways i just instaled the smoke switch on mine to! i absolutly love the sound at idle!! :woot: the superchip dose not smoke hardly at all. im interested in seeing the answer to your question. :thumb:

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah i unplugged my vgt just to see how much it smokes, and stock it blew a little more smoke but i like how it sounded at an idle just feathering the throttle, wish it could sound that badass all the time

·
Registered
21 Posts
he does have an sct and he is runnin inovative tunes. the truck runs great. and smokes too i like the smoke switch just because of the great sound at idle, it gives it a rumble instead of the whistle. im thinkin about doing the mod just for the sound at idle... anyone know the position of the vanes when disconected (or switch off) . im lead to belive that the vanes will be closed becaue the vane actuator inside the turbo sees no voltage so it will close. anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
121 Posts
they open. thats why it stops whistling and rumbles. and it has alot lower backpressure when disconected off.

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
:bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh::supergay::supergay::nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick:

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Ditch the switch!

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I wondered why everyone was being so nice.. lol
It was only a matter of time b4 it happened.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I wondered why everyone was being so nice.. lol
It was only a matter of time b4 it happened.

When I first got my custom tune I was all about smoke. Once people relize how bad it looks to someone know doesnt understand diesel....we stop!

With my tunes, I can smoke if I want. A switch is just bad news. People think they are dieing when they see the black smoke. lol :rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.