Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does my truck smoke at full boost? when its under load at full boost,it has 103,000 4inch exhast with 6 speed manual it is a 2000 model f350. any help thanks. its kind of a hazy dusty looking smoke

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
I figured it was chipped... but maybe not?

Just realized you said 15 psi!

·
Registered
751 Posts
ok thanks for the reply, I'm glad that is normal,why does it do it?
It's unburnt fuel. More fuel is used to get more power and also cool the pistons. The unburnt fuel is sent in faster than it can be burnt and in turn goes out the tailpipe looking like a brown haze or in some cases dark black! When you remove the catalytic converters from a car or truck you will notice a little bit more also because most of it will burn up in there before exiting.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
my 01 used to do that to it would only smoke at higher rpms checked the computer and pcm no chip so in turn i just figured it was powerful and throwing money out the tail pipe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Totally normal. When you see loaded dump trucks blowing black coal it's the same thing. Go to a tractor pull sometime and check out the massive tornado of black smoke those guys get going! BLACK SMOKE DON'T MEAN IT'S BROKE!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yea but we have also had psd's that didnt smoke at all no matter how much load you had on it so yea i know its normal but its ok

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
black smoke those guys get going! BLACK SMOKE DON'T MEAN IT'S BROKE!!! :thumb:
The only thing I was getting at is that if his truck is STOCK and suddenly starts blowing black smoke THEN he might have a problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Right on Maintain! If it didn't do it before and suddenly started you better look into it. Could be as simple as a dirty air filter if it just started doing it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
yeah its not supose to smoke much, if at all stock. check your airfilter, and al your ic boots

1 - 12 of 12 Posts