Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am needing opinions on what's going on with my ford excursion. I will try and be as detailed as possible, please be understanding. I have a 2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 4x4, EGR delete, 5" mbpr exhaust with K&N air filter. The muffler was removed. Last year I had the turbo pulled and cleaned which got rid of the famous turbo bark. Just 3 weeks ago I had a ton of work done to it. (Pictures of work done attached). Two things the truck has never done until now, 1- it blows a good amount of black smoke now when getting into the throttle. 2- coming from closer to the passager side of the dash close to the turbo area when accelerating it sounds like a blower turning on. Gets a little louder when getting into the throttle as well. I took it back to the mechanic and he tried 3 times to align the turbo and determined it needed a rear clamp and replaced that. But it still makes the blower sound. To be a little more detailed they did originally install a tuner on the truck when doing all this work and it had 3 settings. I ended up putting the tune back to stock setting and unplugged it and returned it to them. (I dont know it the tune is still in the system and that's why its having both the smoking and blowing issues). I had the injectors all tested when in the shop and they all tested perfect. I'm just looking to see if anyone has a good idea of why these two things are happening after this work was done. I am no mechanic so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 F250 CCSB
8 Posts
Welcome! Not sure if it could be the same for you, but after I installed my exhaust, until I realigned my down pipe there was some sort of vibration going on coming from the passenger side of the dash because the down pipe was touching the firewall somewhere.

As far as the black smoke is concerned I would think it is from the tuning.

Also- nice excursion man!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Not sure if it could be the same for you, but after I installed my exhaust, until I realigned my down pipe there was some sort of vibration going on coming from the passenger side of the dash because the down pipe was touching the firewall somewhere.

As far as the black smoke is concerned I would think it is from the tuning.

Also- nice excursion man!
Thank you for your response, I have had the truck about 4 years and the exhaust has always been like that just not the black smoke. The sound I am speaking of is more like the ac is on full blast and getting louder the more throttle I give it. I'm thinking maybe since all my seals and sensors were replaced the truck is getting the proper pressure and maybe it is now proving the turbo may need to be replaced. I'm not sure though. Even if I unplugged the tuner can the funer still be active? If so I unplugged it while on the stock setting. Would that matter? Thanks again for the input!!

·
Registered
04 F250 CCSB
8 Posts
I think as long as you were on the stock setting you should be fine. Were you running custom tunes or canned tunes that came with your tuner? Is the stock setting you are on now the original setting the truck had before you tuned? What tuner did you have?

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
1. Exhaust leak - check the firewall and all around the exhaust connections with a mirror and a good flashlight. Look for soot markings or soot trails. You should also notice a decrease in power and this would explain the excess black smoke as well.

2. Cooling fan coming on when it shouldn't - unplug your fan connector and ziptie it out of the way so it doesn't get chopped off. Drive it - if the noise stops, you might have found your issue. Wouldn't explain the black smoke though.

3. Air filter clogged - pull and clean. Or, better yet, get rid of that K&N and put the stock system back on!

4. Injector dumping fuel - You said they tested them out and they are all working properly, so i'm gonna lean towards #1-3.

-jokester

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm wondering if the CAC piping is loose or cracked, I would liken the sound of driven with the CAC tubing blown off very similar to a leaf blower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering if the CAC piping is loose or cracked, I would liken the sound of driven with the CAC tubing blown off very similar to a leaf blower.
This definitely might be possible. I will have to look into this because that's exactly what it sounds like. Thank you for the reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts