Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved notice that i must test my 2002 .first time since new...Has anyone been thru the required smog test in Cali and what is expected..thanks:icon_ford::dunno::doh:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought a 2000 in the Sacto area. The smog test was entirely visual, no tailpipe testing. The smog tech did plug his DMV computer into the OBD II port. Every time he tried to conduct the test the DMV computer shut the truck off. The visual inspection consisted of his opening the hood and looking to see that everything was stock. He asked the PO if there were any after market parts installed. Finally he revved the engine and looked to see if there was any black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. That and $50 and he issued the smog cert.

·
Super Moderator
19,747 Posts
Yep - img2 has it right. That's about all there is to it. The tech crawled all over it looking at stuff. I do have a K&N Installed (with the CARB EO sticker on it). He wrote down the number, had the lady in the office check it. I also have a 4" MBRP Exhaust, but because it didn't change anything from stock it wasn't a big deal. (My truck never had a cat) Romped on it a couple of times, closed the hood and sent me to the office to have the nice lady smile while she took my money. :nod: Probably took 30-45 mins.

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
Just depends who you know.. some guys are gonna be 'crawling all over it' some just want to plug in the OBDII and make sure it dont smoke n you're good..

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Wow sounds like we actually have it worse here in CO than you do in CA. Feel lucky.

·
Govy Magnet
714 Posts
This is what I dread. Even though my truck is registered in NC, in order to re-up my base stickers for 29 Palms I need to get both my trucks smogged. My 150 will never pass lol poor thing, and my 250, although not much done internally all the piping under the hood is red, along with my CFM intake, and my exhaust is 5". The nice thing about the exhaust is that even if its straight piped it still legal. Its an old truckers Law that the Turbo counts as a muffling device. I have that law printed out in my truck...but it helps (as stated before) if you know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy...like someone at the decal issuing office who has a sick 6.0 lol. :icon_ford: and another friend who is an MP who has a really nice 5.9 :thumb:
~Phil

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
This is what I dread. Even though my truck is registered in NC, in order to re-up my base stickers for 29 Palms I need to get both my trucks smogged. My 150 will never pass lol poor thing, and my 250, although not much done internally all the piping under the hood is red, along with my CFM intake, and my exhaust is 5". The nice thing about the exhaust is that even if its straight piped it still legal. Its an old truckers Law that the Turbo counts as a muffling device. I have that law printed out in my truck...but it helps (as stated before) if you know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy...like someone at the decal issuing office who has a sick 6.0 lol. :icon_ford: and another friend who is an MP who has a really nice 5.9 :thumb:
~Phil
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts