Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I put my 4" SST exhaust on, turbo back and it's fantastic. I spent plenty of time fitting stuff and checking for clearances. However, I have noticed some blk soot around some of the slits where you use a Clamp. It's been on for about 6 months. From turbo to the Xfer case we're good. it's the rear section of the exhaust that has very very minor leaks. I called the tech line when installing and they said to position the clamps over the center of the slits in the pipe joints. thats what I did... Should I move them back? Am I the only guy with this? Exactly how are the clamps supposed to be positioned in relationship to the slits?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would move the clamp closer the where the end is, that may help crimp it down more and get rid of the leak. I can't help to much though as I put band clamps on mine and they are 20x better than the regualr clamps that came with it. I would look into getting some of the band clamps and you won't have any leaks.

·
Registered
467 Posts
are there any real negatives to having leaks from there on???

·
Registered
659 Posts
just black soot.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
band clamps will take care of it for sure, it's not really a big deal unless it just really bothers you.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not really. just wanted to run it by others and see what the deal is. so is this common or not?

·
Registered
259 Posts
i have the little leaks at the slits too...i ordered a bunch of band clamps when i ordered my exhaust almost 4 years ago...seems there was a hanger near every joint which prevented me from using the bands..the band clamps are still in my garage...the little leaks are no big deal..

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
the little leaks are no big deal..
I agree. Like William, I considered the band clamps, but realized that the hangers were the issue. The minor leaks are not a problem.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
10-4 guys. thats what I figured, but wanted to run it by everyone and see if I was the only one. How did you guys position your Clamps? did you center the U bolt on the slit?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
what im planing to do with mine is take it in and just have them weld the joints because mines does it a little too

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I am using band clamps and will be welding on new hangers lol. Band clamps do a better job and don't crimp your pipes in case you ever want to take it apart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts