Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about a small diesel truck for work. i know they built some in the 80s but dont know much about them. anyone with knowledge, comments, or sites? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
457 Posts
thinking about a small diesel truck for work. i know they built some in the 80s but dont know much about them. anyone with knowledge, comments, or sites? thanks in advance.
Unfortunately you're limited to an obscure diesel version of the Chevy S-10, a Mazda, a Volkswagen, or a Datsun. The problem with these vehicles is that most of them are pretty tired and worn out now. Toyota used to (and may still) sell great compact diesel Hilux pickups in Canada and some folks have had some luck either importing them or buying a wreck and transplanting the engine into a compact gasser here. I have a 1991 Toyota compact pickup (4 cylinder, 5 speed, 4WD) and they're tough as nails. Even though its a 1/4 ton I've hauled 1000lbs with it on more than one occasion. In 150,000+ miles I've not done more than change the oil/regular maintenance. Check this forum out for more info:

ToyotaDiesel.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Either way you're jumping through hoops to get a small diesel pickup in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Didn't Izuzu build a small diesel truck?

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Following along the lines of what Badfish said, I think it's going to be difficult to find one in good shape or bing one in from outside the states.
Craig

·
Registered
131 Posts
Some time ago there was an article on this foroum about Mahindra trying to put an assemly plant here in the US for a mid sized Diesel Truck.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
There used to be an 88 bronco II diesel, but it was sold overseas. Ford still sells and builds them overseas in the Philippines with compatable right side of the road driving.....but i have no idea what it would take to import.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. considering there aint many, what about a good swap into an S10 chassis? ive got an 84 i'd butcher.

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
A buddy of mines dad had a early 80's Chevy Luv 4X4 w/ a diesel in it it was a pretty cool little truck as far as I know he still has it last I knew it had around 325,000 miles on it and gets around 25 mpg it would be nice to run around in

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks for the info. considering there aint many, what about a good swap into an S10 chassis? ive got an 84 i'd butcher.
A VW diesel would be a good swap..:thumb:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Remember the Chev Chevett diesel?
Drove a new one once, thought Iwas going to have to push it up the hill from Puyallup to Lake taps.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
your better off swapping in a BT4 cummins into a half ton pickup.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Shame you guys don't get any of the European-spec diesel trucks. We have loads of them over here, Hiluxes, Rangers, L-200s etc..

Last Gen Ranger:

Current Gen Ranger:

The new ones have 3-litre Diesels, i believe the last gen Rangers were 2.4-litre.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shame you guys don't get any of the European-spec diesel trucks. We have loads of them over here, Hiluxes, Rangers, L-200s etc..

Last Gen Ranger:

Current Gen Ranger:

The new ones have 3-litre Diesels, i believe the last gen Rangers were 2.4-litre.
Maybe someday if we are really good.:hehe:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Izuzu pup with a 5 speed 4 wheel drive i got 40 mpg but would only go about 65 mph but always ran it was to be mine but sister through some stuff in and knocked the E brake off it drifted down the mountain and crashed into a tree

Matt

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Izuzu pup with a 5 speed 4 wheel drive i got 40 mpg but would only go about 65 mph but always ran it was to be mine but sister through some stuff in and knocked the E brake off it drifted down the mountain and crashed into a tree

Matt
those truck are actually pretty cool!! my gf grandfather has one and its actualy a strong running vehicle. i wouldnt suggest taking it down the strip but its a very efficient little truck

·
Registered
999 Posts
it was going to be my first car/truck the E brake pulled straight out then u turn it so if u touched it would shoot right back in

Matt

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
your better off swapping in a BT4 cummins into a half ton pickup.
i'd use my ford , but its too high. i drag sewer and drain equipment on and off. little trucks are only 2' off the ground after they're loaded.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts