Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So instead of cluttering up someone else’s threads with my questions and concerns, im creating my own thread

My truck currently is running the factory fuel pump (just replaced the insides of the HFCM) other pump couldn’t hold pressures, made a mistake and bought the airdog2, had nothing but problems, right now the whole unit base and pump are at air dog being “tested”. Got a hold of the pump part of the HFCM from a guy I work with (ie FREE) and installed it and its being fed from my sump :woot:!!

Right now it hold 64psi idle and 62 under normal driving and full throttle around 52-54psi. Which is perfectly fine for stock injectors, however I don’t think im going to be sticking with stock injectors. Now im not going all out super race injectors, and Im looking at going with a slight increase so I can still tow and push snow for hours on end. I would be sticking with my stock injectors but I feel as though it is time for either rebuilding them (warrens stock plus) or replacement, and there is a number things that leads me to believe they are on their way out. I have already replaced 2 with in the last year for stickation, it has cleaned up nicely. But power just doesn’t seem to be there anymore and my mileage has slowly gone down. Granted I could just be getting bored with the way the truck is running and on a quest for more power but I still feel as thought id rather spend a little and get a fresh set in there and know they are all good and ready to go.

So right now, im doing my homework and research before I make some big moves and purchases not mention, need to save up first (Getting married and moving and paying bills keeps getting in the way :doh: ... )

I have done a lot of research on fuel systems and building on my own, however as much as I want to, im now looking for the most reliable way to feed a set of injectors. If it comes down to having to build a fuel system, im most likely going to do it in pieces, I think depending on funding and what will all be involved.

My plans so far:

• Warren Diesel 155/50 injectors
  • MTW Hybrid or Stage2 w/billet wheel
  • Fuel System – Option are:
  • Sump feeding factory HFCM, HFCM feeding Regulated Return Kit (Hopefully utilizing Fuelab regulator)
  • Sump feeding some kind of filter base with water separator, feeding Fuelab pump, feeding base with fuel filter, feeding new lines to Regulated Return Kit.
  • Sump feeding some kind of filter base with water separator, feeding Fuelab pump, feeding base with fuel filter, feeding new lines to front ports, building my own regulated return with Fuelab regulator and new lines back to tank.
  • Or I don’t know..

So basically what im looking for is an opinion on a set up like the one above, that will be able to tow at max weight and yet be reliable enough to be pushing snow for hours and maybe days at a time.

My second thing im looking for is a regulated return capable of handling the duties of maintaining good pressures (ie 64/65psi full throttle) with 155s and larger turbo. Or will the new pump be needed.

Im always open to opinions and ideas. None of this is set in stone, its just a lot of information ive brought together from a lot of sources on here. And now im trying to bring it together so that I will be able to make a smart and well researched decision (unlike my airdog purchase).

Thank you in advanced.

Jason

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
So are you going to get the Airdog 2 back?? If you are, I would use that as a pusher pump pulling from a sump and feeding the stock pump. Then delete the fuel bowl on the engine and run new lines from the factory hard line directly to the front of the heads and then build your own lines off the back of the heads to a regulator and then tie a return line from the regulator to the return hard line. This is basically what I did with my setup when I put on my Airdog 150.

If you are not getting the AD2 back, I would just add a sump to feed the stock pump and then add a Strictly Diesel RR kit and call it good because I think the stock pump with that sort of setup will keep 155/30s happy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I better be getting the ad2 back I paid a lot of money for that. I haven't herd anything from them and to be honest I'm so tired of them and the whole system, I've driven my truck more in 2 weeks with the stock pump then i did in 3 months with the Airdog. That's how bad it was.

To be honest I don't even know of I want it back on my truck at all. I have thought about using it as a pusher, just don't know how it would work out.

At this point if can get away with a RR kit to handle the 155/30 or 155/50s and a bigger turbo then I'd more then likely go that route and maybe see if someone wants the air dog.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
There are no end of options but Nate's are pretty good. There seems to be mounting evidence that changing the wiring to 10ga. for the ADII will keep the temps down and let the pump perform as it is supposed to. As I said the evidence is mounting but in my mind the jury is not in yet. At any rate if you reinstall the ADII I would highly suggest that you rewire it with 10ga. wire.

I am going to use my ADII (3rd pump in 2 years) now as a pusher as Nate suggests, basically creating an AD165 from my ADII DF165. I will dial the pressure down to 15-20psi and will use that to feed a Fuelab Prodigy 41402 high pressure pump. This is their 140gph pump. From there I will go to a check valve and then to a 51503 FPR. This regulator has 2 -10 inlets and a -6 return. I am going to use the FPR in a pass through configuration with the fuel going in one -10 and passing out of the other -10 to a Y block and then on to the heads. the return will be plumbed to the ADII hardline HFCM bypass return.

You could also use the 51503 so that it is plumbed in after the heads with both rear ports going to the -10 ports on the 51503 and the return to the ADII HFCM return bypass, or run the lines off the back of the heads to a Y block and a single line into the 51503 with the other -10 blocked off.

Any of these fuel regulation methods will work as well as the other.

I do agree with Nate though that with 155/50's using your ADII as a pusher to feed the HFCM will work fine. I would even leave the stock FPR in place with a blue spring if that will hold the pressure. I don't see why it wouldn't.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have already converted the wiring harness to 10ga.

From the looks of it a RR kit is a def and the ad2 might end up as a pusher depending on how I feel about them when I get it back.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got my Airdog back from Pure Flow. With no information as to what is going on with it or what was wrong, called and left message and waiting to hear back from them

But at this point i have decided to break down this project into stages (3, maybe 4 to be exact)

Stage 1: Stictly Diesel RR Kit, a couple small seals/gaskets (know leaks and issues) and reworking my CCV to it no longer goes back to intake (had my kit on for over a year and still getting oil in my boots.)

Stage 2: Warren 155/50 Injectors, might be due for an oil change at that time.

Stage 3: MTW Stage2 w/ Billet wheel. (If funds permit, new intercooler boots, and intercooler, if not that will be stage 4)

Im going to run the truck with out the AirDog unit at this point (One ive lost faith and trust in it, two im sick of being covered in diesel). If the reg return kit and factory HFCM can keep up with the Injectors and Turbo, then ill be happy, if i need some more or need a pusher pump, the AD2 might go back on or fuel system will be built at that time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts