Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
On intial start up or after sitting for a while, it takes about 4 seconds for my oil pressure gauge to register. The truck starts easy and runs fine. Registers as soon as it fires up on subsequent start ups. I just noticed this so not sure how long it's been going on. Any Ideas? THANKS!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Well, you can alway's go buy a gauge and hook it up. The one in the dash is more of an idiot light. It isn't the most accurate thing.
It also only reads the low pressure system, The lag time could be in getting the cold oil to all parts of the engine.
And of course make sure your oil is fresh and not over worked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Oil is fresh and level right on. Where on the 6.0 do you hook the manual gauge? Thanks again...

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would venture to say right above the oil filter is a plug that you put in a sending unit.
But one of the 6.0 techs will have to help you with that.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mine does the same thing, except that mine takes two to three seconds to register at the longest. I also think that it is probably just taking a while for oil to reach all the parts and to fully pressure up. However, it could also be the anti-drain back valve. This valve is located in the filter canister housing, at the bottom, and over time apparently the area that the valve seals upon, becomes eroded, and allows oil to drain back when it shouldn't, oil should only drain when performing an oil change. Also some after-market oil filters were not closing the valve all the way, and letting oil drain back once the engine was shut off for a while, causing dry starts. Use the motorcraft filter only. Anyone else agree with this?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not much to worry about MWADE60. Have seen alotof them do this. Just make sure to monitor your gauge regularly. The low pump is at the lower frt. end & the oil pressure sw. is on the top. Has a way to travel to get to the sw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. Long road trip towing a car this weekend and sure don't want to be on the side of the interstate in a black truck with 90 degree temps!! Thanks again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts