Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 97 350 for a couple months now and done all the little maintenance things I've needed to do. Ever since I got it the truck revs up slow. It may take 3-4 seconds to rev to 3k rpm. When I'm driving it's the same but it revs quick enough to drive normal, but if I even had to get out of the way of anything, I'd be screwed.

So whats everyone's first thought? I've done all fluids and filter maintenance as well as checked the screen in the fuel regulator... Which actually wasn't even there. Ran some power service and lucas through the fuel to clean up the injectors.

Fuel Level makes no difference so I don't think it's the fuel pump. I'm just at a loss.

Aside from this issue, it runs like a top. Doesn't smoke at all, not even at start up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just did DIY intake. Better but still nowhere near where she needs to be.

·
Registered
72 Posts
easy 20.00 fix is the cps sensor change it with the oem one and keep the old one in your glove box, also gut your cat if you still have one it migh be pluged up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man I can't believe I didn't think of the cat.. I bet that's it. With the 94-97 PSD's, is the CPS as hotly debated as with the 99-03 as far as which color is best or does it really matter?

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
Get a 3" DP while you're at it! that'll wake her up. :)
i want an OBS!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a 3" DP while you're at it! that'll wake her up. :)
i want an OBS!!!

I love my 2000, but there's something about the OBS that just screams bad ***.

3" DP will come soon as I get it running right stock.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CPS in it was the gray one. Found receipt with the paperwork and it was replaced early 2004. I put a known good used black CPS in it from a 2000 and don't notice any difference. Still revs very slow. gonna hack the exhaust off tonight and see if that helps.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Check fuel pressure, the pump may be getting weak. If you have access to a scan tool/software, check what the ICP and IPR duty cycle are at.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Hell mine takes off slow as Hell but when it gets over 20 watch out I'm coming through

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hell mine takes off slow as Hell but when it gets over 20 watch out I'm coming through
Haha we do have some good stock getaway vehicles

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check fuel pressure, the pump may be getting weak. If you have access to a scan tool/software, check what the ICP and IPR duty cycle are at.

Is there a writeup anywhere about checking fuel psi? I have a superchips scantool but I'm not sure I can check the ICP and IPR with it. I'll check tomorrow.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
There is a schrader valve on the fuel bowl that you can connect a fuel pressure tester.

With you Superchips, scan for codes, and see if anything serious shows up. If the injection pressure is in the toilet, you'll most likely have a p1211 code.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a schrader valve on the fuel bowl that you can connect a fuel pressure tester.

With you Superchips, scan for codes, and see if anything serious shows up. If the injection pressure is in the toilet, you'll most likely have a p1211 code.

on the FPR there on the right?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm getting exhaust back pressure and turbo boost codes. Not throwing CEL though. Could this have anything to do with it? Maybe the butterfly is half shut?

·
Transmission or Injectors
743 Posts
Check the tube that runs up from the passenger side manifold up to the exhaust back pressure sensor. If it is full of soot, clean it out, as well as the inside of the sensor.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
It's a OBS, they are slow and gutless.
I'm not so sure man.. my stock lifted/33" tires OBS feels just as fast as my old 2wd superduty with a 6spd, intake, straight pipe, and pinched off wg.

I'm getting exhaust back pressure and turbo boost codes. Not throwing CEL though. Could this have anything to do with it? Maybe the butterfly is half shut?
You sure it's not the ebpv?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You sure it's not the ebpv?
Not sure yet, going to try to get to the sensor today. What a pain in the ***.

·
Transmission or Injectors
743 Posts
The butterfly is springloaded open, and as far as I know, can only be actuated to fully closed. Unless it is sticking, it is probably wide open.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tube from manifold to sensor was totally plugged. had to use a drill to get it out of the tube and the fitting in the manifold is plugged too and i'm gonna have a hell of a time trying to clean that out. I really hope this fixes my problem. I'm ready to start moddin!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts