Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just developed a small shudder in my truck. I cannot isolate it coming from any one location. I have been told that it sounds like a u-joint issue. Shudder 35 to 45 miles, then again at 65 to 70 miles. New tires about 3,000 miles ago. This just started. No shudder before yesterday. Feels like the highway speed ripples on the road when coming to a tole booth, but less annoying. I have 105,000 miles on her now. I will be going back to the tire store on Monday to have them rebalance.

No CEL or codes.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got back from the dealer with a new u-joint. Last night I crawled under the truck grabbed the front u-joint and tried to turn the drive shaft. With no play , I repeated the process untill I got to the rear u-joint. This one had quit a bit of play. So today I picked up a new u-joint and proceeded to remove the old. I got as far as removing the lock washer/retainers off. Now how to I unfreeze them? I spyed them with break away and still nothing moves. Ant suggestions. I am a drive way mechanic so tools are limited. I thought of removing the whole drive shaft but thought otherwise. Don't want to seperate at the spline. The seal/boot is good. I just dropped the rear of the drive shaft down.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After taking the drive shaft out (from trans to rear diff). I noticed that at two different locations a spot (rectangle) with less surface rust on it. Could this mean that some weights have fallen off. Who do I have to take it to to have the balance of the shaft checked? How much should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after removing the drive shaft and taking it to a friends garage to replace the u-joints, he suggested to replace all three. So I did. I reinstalled the drive shaft and the shudder is now more apparent. So off it comes and will be taking it to a drive line shop to have it rebalanced. Maybe even replace the hanger bearing.It's only another $58.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well, after removing the drive shaft and taking it to a friends garage to replace the u-joints, he suggested to replace all three. So I did. I reinstalled the drive shaft and the shudder is now more apparent. So off it comes and will be taking it to a drive line shop to have it rebalanced. Maybe even replace the hanger bearing.It's only another $58.
I had a simiar problem, but it was the straps that hold the u-joints to the rear yolk being loose. Seeing as how you've tightened them anyway, that's obviously not the problem. Maybe it's your avatar? Sorry, I couldn't help it. :hehe:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a simiar problem, but it was the straps that hold the u-joints to the rear yolk being loose. Seeing as how you've tightened them anyway, that's obviously not the problem. Maybe it's your avatar? Sorry, I couldn't help it. :hehe:
What straps holding the rear yoke?
Drive shaft from the trans yoke (4 torx bolts) to the hanger bearing (2 bolts). From the hanger bearing to the rear yoke into the rear end (4 torx bolts).
No straps at the rear yoke.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
What straps holding the rear yoke?
Drive shaft from the trans yoke (4 torx bolts) to the hanger bearing (2 bolts). From the hanger bearing to the rear yoke into the rear end (4 torx bolts).
No straps at the rear yoke.
Maybe it's different on an 07, but on my 99 there's two u shaped straps that connect the u-joint to the rear axle's yolk.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With new u-joint on I fond that they are a little stiff. Does that sound about right. Takes vary little effort to move but does not flop over like the old ones.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hanger bearing is a real pain to remove. going down to my friends shop to press then off and new ones on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it drives better now then when I first picked up my truck. Smooth execration and on the highway as smooth as butter.

The drive shaft was way out.
The hanger bearing was warn out.
The rear u-joint was sloppy.
The other two u-joints were replaced as so I don't have to worry for awhile.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
sounds good to me. the carrier bearing is a pain in the *** to change but they go bad quite often

1 - 11 of 11 Posts