Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Took my 04 CC 4x4 PSD 6.0 47XXX miles, in for oil leak (2nd time) and Tranny fluid flush. They pulled the tranny to replace the rear main seal. I drive home (about 12 miles) and hear a knock comming from what sounded like the top end when I pull into my drive? Sorta went away with increased RPM, and I heard nothing driving home. So with the motor running I check the Tranny fluid dipstick. Nothing, dry as a bone. I shut it off. Let it sit a minute. Check the engine oil and it's fine. Pull the tranny dipstick and now it's reading at the tip of the dipstick nice red tranny fluid. The truck shifted fine, actually better than before so I suspect they did not fill the tranny all the way. (only charged for 10 quarts of tranny fluid on the bill too!) But the knock has me a little worried. Also, when I restarted the truck the knock took a few seconds to develop. Any thoughts? Only mods are AFE intake, Zoodad, 4' Turbo back, no cats or mufflers.. Oh yeah, called the dealer and the service manager sent a wrecker to my house! Thoughts appriciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I got my truck back. Their line was. "Tranny must have "Burped" with some air and was about 1.5 quarts low" Said he could not appriciate the knock. True it's not there when cold. I didn't hear when I picked it up. But was there when I got home. Using a long tube I am pretty sure it is comming from the Left side Head/valve cover. Sounds like a hollow knock? I am taking it back again tomorrow and going to make him hear it while at operating temp. Anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the service manager listen to it this morning. He was puzzled (OR at leasted acted as though he was) and said. "it doesn't sound bad, it doesn't sound metallic". at least he acknowleged it this time. Anythoughts on what causes upper end knock on the these motors? THANKS!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No ideas on upper engine knocks anyone?:dunno:

·
Registered
999 Posts
sorry have no clue

matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Matt. I find all kinds of info on the 7.3 related knock, but not on the 6.0. Either way, it's going back to the shop monday. I'll post what they come up with in case anyone else has a similar problem..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, incase anyone is interested.
Returned from the dealer. They now say this is "normal" sound and nothing to worry about. Funny how it started after THEY pulled the transmission! On the phone with FORD right now.

·
Registered
999 Posts
if i worked on it id say a sock laying ontop the engine

Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update if anyone is interested...

That slight knock has resulted in a new transmission. The next day after getting the "normal knock" run around my tranny started slipping between 3rd/4th and 4th/5th. I had already scheduled it to be taken to another dealer. They have since found the torque converter loose, missing bolts and burnt disc's for 4th and 5th. The knock was most likely from the loose torque converter. And the disc's from the documented 10qts of tranmission fluid they used for the transflush (torqshift calls for 17.5 qts). Big question now is who is going to foot the $5,000.00 repair bill!!! Might have to let the Judge decide...We'll see..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts