Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 F-250, so of course it wont lock the electric brakes when I am standing still to slide my 5th wheel slider, I was curious did anyone figure a work around to this little problem? I have been pulling the breakaway switch in the meantime, but I am really looking for a solution to use from inside the cab, any thoughts?

·
Registered
208 Posts
does your brake controller have a manual switch? I don't think i've ever seen one that does not. hold that and it shoudl apply full braking power.

The factory TowCommand controller in my 2005 had one.

·
Registered
286 Posts
sam ting

mine does the same, does not put much brake on the trailer until rolling 10 - 20 mph even with the manual control and the gain set on 10. I don't have a slider but with the short bed I been looking at getting one.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I don't know if you are referring to the built in brake controller or a aftermarket controller. I also don't know if there is a difference between an '05 and '06 built in. Mine has no problem when "pinching" the controller paddles on the dash.

Ken....

·
Registered
286 Posts
mine is the Ford factory built in unit, when at low speed it will not lock the trailer wheels when "pinching" the paddles on the dash. Clifford is an 05, build date is in Dec. 04

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
mine is the Ford factory built in unit, when at low speed it will not lock the trailer wheels when "pinching" the paddles on the dash. Clifford is an 05, build date is in Dec. 04
Sounds like your trailer brakes need some adjustment. When you hook up how do you keep the trailer from rolling back?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just ease back till the jaw on the 5th wheel slams in on the pin, get out and lock the release handle, plug in the pig tail and raise the landing gear to just off the ground. with the old truck (97 f250 5.4 gasser aftermarket brake control) I could lock the trailer brakes and give it a little tug just to make sure the hitch was locked in and the brakes working ok, The Ford integrated trailer brake control seems to work ok when in motion but will not let me do that
Gary

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I just ease back till the jaw on the 5th wheel slams in on the pin, get out and lock the release handle, plug in the pig tail and raise the landing gear to just off the ground. with the old truck (97 f250 5.4 gasser aftermarket brake control) I could lock the trailer brakes and give it a little tug just to make sure the hitch was locked in and the brakes working ok, The Ford integrated trailer brake control seems to work ok when in motion but will not let me do that

Gary
I notice you plug the pig tail in after the hook up. Try it before the hook up apply the trailer brakes and see if you can push the trailer. If you can something not right I know six others with the factory controller and they can all lock the brakes. Hope this helps.

Richard

·
Registered
286 Posts
I may have found the answer on another forum'

2005 F-Series Super Duty Factory Trailer Brake Controller Tips: Diagnosis procedures for the Towcommand system is in the workshop manual, section 206-10, Auxiliary Brake System. All voltage tests sould be made with the controller at the maximum gain setting of 10.0. Brake controller output voltage increases with vehicle speed. In park with the controller fully applied manualy, the output voltage on trucks built before 3-23-05 should be greater than 1-3 volts; after 3-23-05 greater than 10-12 volts. Controller output with the brake pedal is the same for either build dates. Full voltage is only available above 15 MPH. The Towcommand system works in both forward and reverse. Broadcast Message 3286, 4312.
When installing an aftermarket controller on trucks equiped with a factory installed controller, the factory one must be left intact and the aftermarket controller installed separately. Broadcast Message 3332, 4080.
The Towcommand system is ment to only work with electric trailer brakes and not surge or electric over hydraulic brake systems. Broadcast Message 3179.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I may have found the answer on another forum'

2005 F-Series Super Duty Factory Trailer Brake Controller Tips: Diagnosis procedures for the Towcommand system is in the workshop manual, section 206-10, Auxiliary Brake System. All voltage tests sould be made with the controller at the maximum gain setting of 10.0. Brake controller output voltage increases with vehicle speed. In park with the controller fully applied manualy, the output voltage on trucks built before 3-23-05 should be greater than 1-3 volts; after 3-23-05 greater than 10-12 volts. Controller output with the brake pedal is the same for either build dates. Full voltage is only available above 15 MPH. The Towcommand system works in both forward and reverse. Broadcast Message 3286, 4312.
When installing an aftermarket controller on trucks equiped with a factory installed controller, the factory one must be left intact and the aftermarket controller installed separately. Broadcast Message 3332, 4080.
The Towcommand system is ment to only work with electric trailer brakes and not surge or electric over hydraulic brake systems. Broadcast Message 3179.
I and two of my friends have manual trans so no tow command. They also have post 3/05 trucks. Good find:nod:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts