Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have had a poor experience with Sinister Diesel, please share here: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/feedback/979994-do-not-buy-sinister-diesel-mkm-customs.html

Welp, I took the gamble and lost. I installed the Sinister Diesel Y pipe at the end of last year along with BD Manifolds... Here we are only about 2K Miles later and the pissed off tea kettle, extreme turbo lag, and rolling coal are a little bit undesirable. The Driver side "Double Slip Joint" is rolling its own coal.

Ive been in contact with Sinister, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I told them I dont want another one. I'd rather go back to an OEM setup from WPE (where I should have gone in the first place) but there use of the double slip joint and advertisement of how its "so much better than bellows" drew me right in like a moth to a flame.

The purpose of this thread is to share my experience as it unravels...

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Yikes, that sucks. I almost bought one of those but didn't. I got a repaired pipe on standby for that time. Suprisingly my OEM is still holding strong. Hope they make it right.

Reactions: john galt

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope they do too.. B1tch of it is, I ripped out my perfectly good Y-pipe and sent it down the road...

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Glad to see you back, @MA! Sorry to see the nonsense that you are dealing with, though...

Just FYI... there is a whole thread devoted to your disappearance.

Edited to add: I see that you found it. There was a milk carton campaign, too.

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see you back, @MA! Sorry to see the nonsense that you are dealing with, though...

Just FYI... there is a whole thread devoted to your disappearance.

Edited to add: I see that you found it. There was a milk carton campaign, too.
I did see it... The leader of the search party clued me into it.

I feel sorry for the people that are just trying to have a peaceful breakfast and are forced to stare at my mug:rofl:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Your not the only one that had problems with these over priced up pipes... I put a set on a neighbors and they were no where near fitting correctly, course sinister says they never have issues....

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I did see it... The leader of the search party clued me into it.

I feel sorry for the people that are just trying to have a peaceful breakfast and are forced to stare at my mug:rofl:
Yeah. ...it wasn't so successful.

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your not the only one that had problems with these over priced up pipes... I put a set on a neighbors and they were no where near fitting correctly, course sinister says they never have issues....
That was the first response I got from Tech support... "Really"

Yeah. ...it wasn't so successful.

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
I also had issues with a set. Would not line up right. I politely sent sinister an email... No response. I resent... No Response.

I used to recommend these to everyone... Now I feel bad and will do everything I can to point people in another direction.

I am hoping the new MBRP set will have better results.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I have talked with Ricemiester and he has been putting on MBRP pipes when he is doing cab off stud jobs. He hasn't had an issue with them.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Had issues with mine as well.

First set had a slight leak from the dual slip joint causing a whistle. The second set had the flange surfaces curved rather than flush causing them to burn out the gasket.

I went with Irate's T-4 up pipes. Not an issue ever since. :woot:

Attachments

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also had issues with a set. Would not line up right. I politely sent sinister an email... No response. I resent... No Response.
I called, and got tech support... He gave me his "really" response, and then asked me to email him pics. That was last thursday. This morning he emailed me and told me that he forwarded it to the warranty department. My email with the pictures stated that I did not want a replacement but rather an OEM style replacement... So lets see what they come back wit

I have talked with Ricemiester and he has been putting on MBRP pipes when he is doing cab off stud jobs. He hasn't had an issue with them.
I have already been eyeballing the MBRP set and wondered wether they were any good... And I know Ricemeister isnt into comebacks, so that right there makes them a viable option.

Had issues with mine as well.

First set had a slight leak from the dual slip joint causing a whistle. The second set had the flange surfaces curved rather than flush causing them to burn out the gasket.

I went with Irate's T-4 up pipes. Not an issue ever since. :woot:
I remember reading your build thread right after I ordered mine and thinking "man I hope I don't end up in that boat too" boy is my face red

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Damn that sucks :/ Im looking at the MBRP set my self too! Good luck!!

Tom

Reactions: michaelaiman

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
I install the MBRP ones when the stock ones blow out as well. So far awesome and haven't had an issue. I wish Flo-Pro would get off there hands and make a set as they already do fro the 6.4.

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I install the MBRP ones when the stock ones blow out as well. So far awesome and haven't had an issue. I wish Flo-Pro would get off there hands and make a set as they already do fro the 6.4.
Thanks Toren... I was hoping you had some input on the MBRP set as well

If Sinister wanted to buy me a MBRP Y pipe.... Id settle for that as "making it right"

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

I used to recommend these to everyone... Now I feel bad and will do everything I can to point people in another direction.

I am hoping the new MBRP set will have better results.
You just had to recommend these to me didn't you :slap:

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
Thanks Toren... I was hoping you had some input on the MBRP set as well

If Sinister wanted to buy me a MBRP Y pipe.... Id settle for that as "making it right"
Yah....when it comes to these performance parts and the new "HOTNESS" that just came out and is a revolutionary design.....I ALWAYS sit back and watch for a while. Looks can be deceiving....I mean that's how the Black Onyx debacle happened in the first place. They were marketed as a "SOLUTION KIT" and people just believed and bought them up. Same thing happened with MTW, these Sinister pipes, all aluminum 6.4 radiators, and the list goes on. Now the MBRP set and Flo-Pros up pipes use the same high strength bellows and have been proven for years. The fit and finish is awesome on both. I like Flo-Pro more because for the same price or less then the MBRP pipes you get fully SS and polished. MBRP's pipes come bare. The issue here is Flo-Pro hasn't made a 6.0 set yet. I keep sending Emails tho:thumb:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Uuughh, not good to hear, have had a set on my truck since last August. Well, guess when I look at those stock y-pipes in my shed, I'll know what I might be needing them for.:please:
Is there someone who does the bellows replacement on the stock pipes? Thought I saw that last year when I was parts shopping.

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WPE has been modding OEM pipes with HD bellows. Then there's the option of buying your own HD bellows and having a competant welder do it, but with out a specific jig or engine to moch it up on, it might a gamble as well for fitment issues

1 - 20 of 184 Posts