Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one go out. Or know the signs. Sometimes when i do a WOT run watching on my insight as soon as the torque converter locks in third it feels like something is slipping and rpms go up a little.

Truck is in sig running SRL tune. around 120k miles on it.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Torque converters will slip at WOT with mods. Especially stock ones. Just watch your trans temps. Mine went over 250 when mine went and barely moved.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. My temps rarely make up to 170. I just never herd anything about them slipping and figured it wasn't good. Scary feeling! Are they known to out on the 6.0s?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm at 434hp and 651tq with 185,000 on the original transmission, 20k on the solenoids, and it slips every once in awhile. temps usually don't get over 170, even in this 102° Texas heat!

·
Registered
599 Posts
well, there a 2 parts to a torque converter, the torque converter and then the lock up clutch in it. The lock up clutch can go bad, which will cause you not to have torque converter lock up or the converter can go bad, which will cause the truck not to move.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm at 434hp and 651tq with 185,000 on the original transmission, 20k on the solenoids, and it slips every once in awhile. temps usually don't get over 170, even in this 102° Texas heat!
What was the sign of bad solenoids? A few times my tranny has kinda hung between third and fourth for a second. Only around half throttle. Never light or full throttle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
to piggyback off this thread, as to not start a new one.

I have an aftermarket TC, got it when i had my trans rebuilt or rather swapped (40k miles ago).....i'm getting a cutting out feel above 45mph...almost feels like what you would feel if you weren't getting enough fuel (just trying to describe the feeling)...a bucking/hesitation almost

I have a buddy who has that snap on diagnostic tool.....I'm not sure if he knows what he is looking for......it is a % of slippage of what we are determining?

What is an acceptable % of slip and what is too high?

I hate asking these questions, but i dislike even more driving my truck when i know something is wrong. I do not trust my local mechanics, so I am on my own on this one...and i'm a **** mechanic haha

any suggestions on how to diagnose my trouble, would be greatly appreciated

btw, my friend (although we havent tested the tc yet) thinks its an injector......so at this point we are going to test everything we can.

I know, totally opposite things....i did say i was a **** mechanic..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts