Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some questions, what are the signs of a bad egr cooler or one going bad?
i noticed my truck warming up higher than usual when romping on it. i do have arp's done and i know its not my heads. maybe someone can help me out with this stuff...thanks!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
15* difference between the oil and water temp is a sure fire way to tell you if the oil cooler is going bad.

Bad EGR cooler is normally pouring white smoke out the tail pipe. Also you can pull your EGR valve and see if its wet inside the manifold, if it is, thats a sign of bad egr cooler.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont have any white smoke coming out at all. i do see a difference in oil and coolant temps, but i thought up to 20 degrees difference was acceptable? Its just weird cause my truck is starting to heat up after getting on it, or even climbing a steep hill. i do have my xtreme tune loaded on there but i dont remember having this problem before.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone else?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Usually if an EGR cooler goes, you'll have white smoke, if the oil cooler goes, you'll have varying temps between the oil and coolant.

I have about a 400 degree difference between oil and coolant! I hate electronics sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
Im hopin the 400 was a typo:doh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts