Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, rear brakes turned into rotor, e brake shoes, and bearing replacement on both sides. Along with $180 worth of dust shields on top of that.

My issue now is I seem to have developed a shudder around 55-60, and it feels like a side to side shudder. I don't know if it's my mind telling me what I want to see but I swear I can see the bed actually shaking side to side.

I followed my manual to a T for torquing the bearings, and went so far as to retorque them this evening to confirm I'm not completely crazy.

This is on an 03 f350 dual rear wheel. I confirmed that it is considered the Spicer rear end/10.5 inch ring gear.

I'm open to any and all suggestions to look for obvious clues. Anyone have any idea what to look for?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Though I did not get any responses, I'll share what I found. I pulled both of the hubs this morning. Before I actually released the tension, I removed the wheels, axle and calipers to free it of anything that may externally hold it back. I checked for lateral movement to confirm that it was tight. No play on either side. Went ahead and removed and inspected the race, bearings and hub itself, nothing to note. Races were properly seated and intact.

I went ahead and replaced the driver side dust shields since I had previously bought them (after I completed the driver side installation last week) and I noticed some really jacked up edges. Turns out, the mangled shield had somehow gotten pinched between the hub and prevented it from fully seating. Reinstalled everything, torqued and good to go. Shimmy gone. However, I did find my driver side parking brake cable is jacked up. So cheers to another repair.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts