Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have a 2004 6.0 fully stock powerstroke diesel with 90K on it. The engine has been very well maintained, but has been worked fairly hard (towing 27K GVCW for 60K of those 90K miles).

I should mention this was a later year 2004, which avoids the problems with the 2003 engine.

This truck and engine have been great and have given me no problems, but when I read about all the potential problems out there - EGR cooler, weak head bolts, turbos that fail, expensive fuel injectors - I can't figure out if I should worry or not.

The one thing I never read about is what percentage of trucks have these various problems - 1%, 5%, 50%?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. If you made it that many miles without any issues, you should go another 90k. One thing I would suggest though, and coolant filter and flush. A monitoring system like an Edge Insight to keep an eye one your EOT and ECT delta, to hopefully keep from plugging your oil cooler and then popping the EGR cooler. It's a stem of events that causes most of the 6.0 issues. If your EGR cooler pops, it's possible for it to pop the HG's too, depending on how bad the rupture is, or how long you drive it after it ruptures

Oil cooler plugs = EGR cooler rupture = HG failure

·
Registered
264 Posts
Agreed, the best thing you can do is get something to monitor the truck better than the stock idiot gauges on the dashboard. Once you get a decent monitor, you'll be able to see any problems coming before they actually cause any problems.

Good luck, and congrats on having a good rig!

These trucks like to be driven hard. Babying them causes more problems than not. The fact that it was driven hard for most of it's life is probably actually a good thing. It Keeps the system clean!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I've had a couple people tell me that I shouldn't drive these hard because it will weaken the head bolts on this engine, but towing with a GVCW of 27K I'm always driving it hard. When I pull hills I'm usually 100% into it for as long as it takes (including a number of Colorado passes over 10K). I watch the temperature gauges and it always seems just fine.

I was given two bits of advise on this engine: Change the fuel filters often and never turn then engine off immediately after towing. I follow both of these, and idle it for 5 to 10 minutes after it's been been pulling hard.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Good to hear. The problem is that the idiot gauges don't really give you a true picture of what is going on with the engine until it is too late. That's the reason that so many of us are running digital gauges like the ScanGauge II and the Edge Insight CS/CTS.

The head bolts will hold just fine unless you get coolant in the cylinder, in which case even the best H-11 head studs couldn't keep the head gaskets in place.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I've had a couple people tell me that I shouldn't drive these hard because it will weaken the head bolts on this engine, but towing with a GVCW of 27K I'm always driving it hard. When I pull hills I'm usually 100% into it for as long as it takes (including a number of Colorado passes over 10K). I watch the temperature gauges and it always seems just fine.

I was given two bits of advise on this engine: Change the fuel filters often and never turn then engine off immediately after towing. I follow both of these, and idle it for 5 to 10 minutes after it's been been pulling hard.
Whoever told you that needs to stop giving info. You're not going to stretch the head bolts by driving it hard, and the 6.0 LIKES/NEEDS to be driven hard. I'm glad to see that you let it idle for a bit before shutting it down. I do that all the time though, not just when towing. I'd say 27k is working the piss out of it :thumb:

Good to hear. The problem is that the idiot gauges don't really give you a true picture of what is going on with the engine until it is too late. That's the reason that so many of us are running digital gauges like the ScanGauge II and the Edge Insight CS/CTS.

The head bolts will hold just fine unless you get coolant in the cylinder, in which case even the best H-11 head studs couldn't keep the head gaskets in place.
I always forget about the Scangauge :doh:. It's definitely cheaper than the Insight CTS/CS. I agree too that you're not seeing the vitl temps with the gauges on the dash

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The instrumentation sounds like a great upgrade. I'll look into that before my next big adventure. Did I mention that I tow that 27K sometimes near 80 mph? Very much working the engine. This truck was set up as a hauler, even though it has a pick up bed. As an F-550 with rear air suspension, air ride 5th wheel hitch, auxiliary fuel tank (74 gallons on board), review camera wired direct into the RV, it is very solid with this load at highway speeds. The big killer is the MPG. It has a 4.88:1 rear end and is cranking around 2800 RPM in the 75 mph range. Mileage drops like a rock at those speeds. 6.6 mpg when hauling.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
The instrumentation sounds like a great upgrade. I'll look into that before my next big adventure. Did I mention that I tow that 27K sometimes near 80 mph? Very much working the engine. This truck was set up as a hauler, even though it has a pick up bed. As an F-550 with rear air suspension, air ride 5th wheel hitch, auxiliary fuel tank (74 gallons on board), review camera wired direct into the RV, it is very solid with this load at highway speeds. The big killer is the MPG. It has a 4.88:1 rear end and is cranking around 2800 RPM in the 75 mph range. Mileage drops like a rock at those speeds. 6.6 mpg when hauling.
OUCH! :eek:

·
Registered
264 Posts
My last trip had me at 24,000 GVCW on my 350, and yea, I think I MAXXED at 7.5mpg :thumb:

Nothing quite like driving with that turbo whistle constantly cranked at 20+PSI

That Trailer in the picture below, when loaded, is ~14,000lbs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts