Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got a sample pint of Lubrication Engineers Full Torque and was pretty shocked at how different the engine sounded and felt almost right out of the gate. I'm not sure if it's all in my head but I'll give it a few more tanks to see how things end up.

I've seemed to see/read a ton of conflicting info on Archoil products... But I'm fairly new, some of their products still seem appealing...

·
Registered
416 Posts
BravoZulu81, I looked at there website and it sounds like an interesting product.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've been running Opti-Lube Summer since the 2nd tank of diesel. I've been using Archoil AR6200 since about 3000 miles and now have 19,000. I seem to get the best fuel mileage with Opti-Lube and the recommended dose of AR6200.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe newer common rail engines do need additives even more than older engines, due to their tighter tolerances. The reason why is the injector pintle holes are the size of a human hair and cannot tolerate any water or contaminants. Through a conversation, a cummins mechanic said the new ISX motors will have 40,000lbs of pressure in the new injector systems and if any water gets to the injectors there goes an injector. Most injectors are designed and built by companies in Europe like Bosch, and European fuel standards are much higher than U.S. standards. EU standards have an HFRR test rating of no greater than 460um and when breaking in a engine they recommend no greater than 400um, but US standards have a 520um rating( lower the number the better the protection). -Google -(common position statement 2012). Cetane rating numbers are quite different also EU standards is a 51 Cetane number minimum and US is 40 but most U.S.fuels are around 43 to 45. Note -Europe in 2013 ran testing on fuels as high as 58 Cetane number rating to meet help reduce the greenhouse gases engine create.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ford's video on PM-22 says they have found diesel with cetane down in the upper 30s. I know California and some Texas (go figure) counties have 50 cetane requirements. Folks who have used additives in those places often don't see much difference. I took an 11K cross country trip in Aug/Sept and the only pumps that posted cetane said 40, so I think 43-45 may be generous. I also believe Europe plans to phase in a 55 cetane requirement.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok... So, after the Full Torque I wanted to give diesel clean a shot to see how it did because it's available everywhere.... I swear I'm not crazy but I feel like it gummed up ****. Feels like slight loss in power and I keep getting a p2002....

Anyone else had that with a 6.4 and the diesel clean product?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've seen a few posts now on a company called Amalgamated Inc that has been in the diesel additive business for 35 years. Several swear by their TDR-S/FL diesel additive. Here is is a link to results of a bus company study:
News : Amalgamated, Inc.

You can't buy small quantities of the additive as they sell to fleets, but have gone to containers smaller than 55 gallon drums. Supposedly one, if not the cheapest per use and most effective.

The product:
TDR-S : Amalgamated, Inc.

·
Registered
931 Posts
FYI TDR-S is a warm weather formulation and will not protect against gelling.
Agreed and that is why they make TDR-WDA for winter. However, the OP really doesn't need to worry about gelling at 20 degrees anyway. I do think we all should use a good additive because of the variability of diesel fuel no matter where we buy it. Separating the wheat from the chaff is the problem. I've never used Diesel Kleen because of it's poor performance in the 2007 test, but I do use Opti-Lube because it was at the top. I have no opinion of many others, but prefer tried and true. The Amalgated products look promising and some swear by them. I posted just for informational reasons, but may try TDR when I run out of Opti-Lube. Either is a commitment because we have to buy in quantity. I am on my second gallon of Opti-Lube even though I supplement with AR6200. I use AR6200 in all my gas engines.

Reactions: Patriot

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll be odd man out here with what I've read with what ppl have been using. I've been for years using Renewable Lubricants Bio-Power Summer Diesel Fuel Conditioner and Winter Diesel Fuel Conditioner

Since using their product, my fuel pump hasn't failed (leaking) where-as with the introduction of LSF and then ULSF (pump only lasted ~23K miles on ULSF). Plus no more black smoke and my mpg's increased a little. Original OEM Injectors still seem healthy and ticking strong with 198K miles on them. My UOA's (used oil analysis) showed general internal health improvement and things staying cleaner.

I use their Bio-Plus on all my gasoline engines as well.

Reactions: Patriot

·
Registered
99 Posts
We'll, due to being lazy and not ordering more of the Full Torque, I picked up some Stanadyne locally.... I'm impressed with it, especially because it seems that all the parts stores carry it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To be honest never tried any fuel supplements with my modern diesel engine up to now. The only time I used one was with my old diesel tractor mixing 2T oil as a cleaner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I read some where that modern diesel engine don't need fuel supplements due to its newer technology. The ECU can determine/learn how to adjust with the type of fuel used in order to work efficiently as possible.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I read some where that modern diesel engine don't need fuel supplements due to its newer technology. The ECU can determine/learn how to adjust with the type of fuel used in order to work efficiently as possible.
Need? No, they don't need supplements, just like Texas and California and Europe don't need higher standards for diesel fuel. They have them because the results are less soot and better fuel mileage.
But I want the best for my truck so I researched to find the best additives and I use them.
If you live in Texas, California or Europe, you have some of the best fuel available and additives may not be necessary for optimal performance.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts