Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A longtime ford diesel owner told me recently that I should be using a product called Slikk Diesel in my fuel tank to get longer life out of my injectors due to the lack of lubricity of this ULS diesel. Any opinions on that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
...being new to diesel technology, I'd be interested in using additives myself, including Opti-Lube products; are they really necessary? Ford seems to discourage the use of supplements in the fuel...

·
Registered
883 Posts
I recommend the use of something I run stanadyne performance formula. I work in a Ag shop ulsd is hard on fuel system parts.

Reactions: PBman

·
Registered
347 Posts
The new trucks don't need the fuel additives like our older trucks do because they were made to run on ulsd fuel. That may be there reason why ford says you don't need it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ford discourages use of additives in fuel. Unless it's a Ford additive :crazy:

That's just because they want you to buy their product. I work for a john Deere dealer as a technician. Designed for it or not. ulsd or not it's too dry, is not of the same quality it used to be. Fuel system problems failed high pressure pumps injectors etc is one of the biggest complaints we get out of older and new machines. I recommend the use of additive to all of our customers I deal with.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Some run 2 stroke oil. I've been running power services. White in the winter and silver in the summer. The truck runs better with it. Give it a try. See what you think. It's about 20 ish for a big bottle at wally world and lasts quite a while. Cheap insurance on a fairly expensive motor imho

·
Registered
347 Posts
I run 2stroke because I have gotten mpg gain with it over the Diesel clean. I do run the DC through my tank every few months to clean everything up tho. Some people even do a mix of DC and 2stroke.

Reactions: mikeyrocks

·
Registered
347 Posts
I buy a gallon from Walmart and I add more than 16oz but less than 32oz haha.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My tank is 25-26galI heard someone say that adding too much DC was bad I'm not sure what that number was but just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used Standyne's Lubricity since I bought my truck in 2000. I use half strength with every fillup; no smoke (267K miles) because no leaking injectors, faster and easier starting, never have a problem with the injector pump, no rolling, etc. well worth $60 case price a year...

·
Super Moderator
5,971 Posts
Its never a bad idea to use diesel additives. With newer trucks especially you need to add lubricity or your injectors and hpfp are going to hate you. It also depends on the quality of fuel you have available to you. I always add it in mine, quiets my injectors down a lot and makes the truck run better. I have a couple of friends with '14 chevys and they get the exact same benefits I do with Diesel Kleen.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well I drove the truck ('04, 6.0) for the first time since dowing it with 1 oz per gallon of 2 stroke oil...WOW ! so much quieter !! Now what is it doing to make it so much quieter ? lubricating, I am not a scientist but I like it. Clattering in an engine just cannot be good.
Now I will make a mix of Diesel Kleen and 2 stroke as that seems to appeal to me, lubing and cleaning all in one.
I read somewhere about zinc being in the 2 stroke but I have read enough here to believe that so many people are running it that any zinc going thru the injectors (if it does exist) is not an issue. If so the diesel kleen might be removing it from the injectors.

I had/have been running Lucas and achieved no where near the "quieting" effect the 2 stroke did.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Two stroke lubricates the engine just like it does a two stroke engine haha. But it is not a problem. Iv ran it for 30+k miles with no problems. I would not run diesel clean all the time, only because it isn't worth the extra money. Maybe run it every 4-5 tank.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Agreed on the D.K. .
D.K. prolly is not gonna be needed every tankfull...I will try and minimize the 2 stroke as well...werk it down a little but. Its cheap enough but figure a quart every fill up. so like $3 each tankful...and if I can cut it back a lil bit maybe get 5 tanks out of a gallon instead of 4. Either way its not a huge expense, just sayin'.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts