Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 Lariat
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m brand new here. I deleted the egr on my truck in July and ever since then my truck has been running smoother and the check engine light turned on. One diesel mechanic said I should tune it so I could clear that code. Now I’m wondering if I should or not.

Thank you guys!

·
Administrator
32,698 Posts
you can tune from mild to wild or justtune to clear the code
remember with that CEL lit you will not be alerted to other CEL worthy issues

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I think you should tune it to get rid of the code as mentioned above, or put the EGR back in so you have no code.

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
756 Posts
Echoing what's already said: do what you need to do in order to restore the functionality of the CEL.

That said, I'd keep the EGR off and put a mild tune on it. If only to get some responsiveness out of the truck and get rid of the horrible input lag. Though I think the severity of which you may, or may not, be experiencing said input lag may depend on the strategy your truck has flashed to the ECU. Mine was horrible.

My strategy is: VXCF9H7

·
Registered
345 Posts
Check out eBay for an older sctx4 that has not been updated. I thought the whole epa crack down made it harder to get tune companies to turn that cel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
756 Posts
Did you remove the Valve when you took the EGR out? Mine is still in-place on my 2006 and it doesn't throw a CEL. It does have a "soft code" for failing a Readiness Check, though.

·
Premium Member
10,648 Posts
Something to consider with the info provided. If a 6.0l is not studded. A power tune is a bit more of a risk if you don't have $3-7k stashed away for repairs. Now if you run say a transmission only tune with the egr program built it that would be my advice. 6.0l are great truck but like everything have their qwurks. running any kind of horsepower tune without studs is a little more risky but with all the EPA changes not all tuners are going to offer the egr file on their tunes too. Edge, SCT/Bullydog, and many others were faced with $500k + fines in cases so just do your research and read the forum threads to get an idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts