Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought a job 1 2011 F-350 and I'm getting my old 6.0 ready to sell and I'm wandering if it's worth taking the SCT X4 out of it and putting it on the new truck or leaving it stock. I know that increasing power puts more strain on components but is it a bad idea to tune these trucks or should I go ahead and throw the X4 on it? Are there better tuning options that I should consider? I don't tow or haul anything either, this is just a grocery getter until I can get a grocery getter.

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
993 Posts
If you’re going to just use the canned tunes, I wouldn’t. I also wouldn’t spend the money on custom tunes for a truck that wasn’t going to tow a lot or be deleted.

That’s just me.

Reactions: Red Ford

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
The 6.7 is not your old 6.0. The 6.7 has over 400hp stock without the need for a tuner. Drive it for a bit and see if yo uneed to up the hp and torque or like most of us, save the money for other items for our trucks.

I would sell the SCT 4X and buy an Edge CTS2 to monitor your truck. If later you want, you can pay the $250 to add the capability of some canned tunes from Edge.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you’re going to just use the canned tunes, I wouldn’t. I also wouldn’t spend the money on custom tunes for a truck that wasn’t going to tow a lot or be deleted.

That’s just me.
The 6.7 is not your old 6.0. The 6.7 has over 400hp stock without the need for a tuner. Drive it for a bit and see if yo uneed to up the hp and torque or like most of us, save the money for other items for our trucks.

I would sell the SCT 4X and buy an Edge CTS2 to monitor your truck. If later you want, you can pay the $250 to add the capability of some canned tunes from Edge.
Thanks guys. I took my Edge CTS 2 from the 6.0 and put it in the 6.7, this one is just the monitor though with no capability of tuning.

The truck does have more than enough power for me, but more is always better right? Basically what I'm looking at is I already have the SCT so it doesn't cost me anything and if it will make the driving experience that much better then I'd like to use it on this truck, otherwise I'll sell it. I just want to make sure one way or the other before I do anything with it.

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
993 Posts
Thanks guys. I took my Edge CTS 2 from the 6.0 and put it in the 6.7, this one is just the monitor though with no capability of tuning.

The truck does have more than enough power for me, but more is always better right? Basically what I'm looking at is I already have the SCT so it doesn't cost me anything and if it will make the driving experience that much better then I'd like to use it on this truck, otherwise I'll sell it. I just want to make sure one way or the other before I do anything with it.

Most of the time, I agree, more is better. However, with the canned tunes they don’t put much thought in to them. It’s just “Here’s more fuel and more timing”. Not really much more to it. It’s needlessly hard on the engine. But I’m no expert.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of the time, I agree, more is better. However, with the canned tunes they don’t put much thought in to them. It’s just “Here’s more fuel and more timing”. Not really much more to it. It’s needlessly hard on the engine. But I’m no expert.
What if I went with a custom canned tune? I say custom canned tune because the ones you buy online aren't putting your truck on a dyno and dialing it into your truck, but would one of those be worth it? Also at some point I will be deleting the truck so would this X4 be good to at least hold onto to get the tune for when it gets deleted or is there a better system available?

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
993 Posts
What if I went with a custom canned tune? I say custom canned tune because the ones you buy online aren't putting your truck on a dyno and dialing it into your truck, but would one of those be worth it? Also at some point I will be deleting the truck so would this X4 be good to at least hold onto to get the tune for when it gets deleted or is there a better system available?

Yeah, custom canned is really a more accurate description of it. If you stay stock, DP tuners does emissions friendly tunes that get great reviews. I’m not sure off the top of my head if they write for the X4, but they probably do.

It depends on what you’re looking for in a tuner. I have an X4. I like it. It’s the most basic tuner for deleting. The monitoring is very limited, and the screen’s really to small for that anyway. As far as just being a tuner, it does that just fine.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, custom canned is really a more accurate description of it. If you stay stock, DP tuners does emissions friendly tunes that get great reviews. I’m not sure off the top of my head if they write for the X4, but they probably do.

It depends on what you’re looking for in a tuner. I have an X4. I like it. It’s the most basic tuner for deleting. The monitoring is very limited, and the screen’s really to small for that anyway. As far as just being a tuner, it does that just fine.
Thank you, I'm not worried about the monitoring as the CTS 2 does that great. I still have 4 unlocks left so I might throw it on just to see if I like it or not and decide from there. On my 6.0 it just stayed in the glove box until I wanted to revert to stock or go to a tow tune on the odd occasions I would tow. With all the emissions stuff on these trucks, does running canned tunes have a bigger risk of hurting the truck or is it pretty much the same you might have issues and you might not? If that makes any sense at all, not sure how to word it lol.

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
993 Posts
Thank you, I'm not worried about the monitoring as the CTS 2 does that great. I still have 4 unlocks left so I might throw it on just to see if I like it or not and decide from there. On my 6.0 it just stayed in the glove box until I wanted to revert to stock or go to a tow tune on the odd occasions I would tow. With all the emissions stuff on these trucks, does running canned tunes have a bigger risk of hurting the truck or is it pretty much the same you might have issues and you might not? If that makes any sense at all, not sure how to word it lol.

Mine’s the same. The truck got a Tow tune when it was deleted and it’s never been off of it.

You’re not guaranteed any problems running the canned tunes. For all accounts they just kind of suck. I don’t know anyone on here who does run them. With one of the low power tunes, it probably wouldn’t hurt a thing. I’d be mindful of the hotter tunes though.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My truck is also a job 1, I don't tow much, have to put my DPF back on for stickers, but I wanted the extra power because I'm greedy lol. But I wanted at least 10 months out of the year without the DPF on possibly giving me issues and burning more fuel than I need too. Even if you get a DPF on tune it will be better than stock and you'll be able to squeeze out more power.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I won't be useing the X4 lol. Can't get the updater software to update and I've been on the phone with DeRive for the past 45 mins trying to figure it out. I think I'll just let it go with the 6.0 and get another tuner later on down the road if I do a DPF delete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts