Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 93 f350 with the non turbo diesel motor.

im going to be using the truck to haul.
roughly 11 000 lbs on a regular basis.

i heard the newer style powerstroke will bolt in. is this correct?
should i do that swap so i can put a tuner on it and be done?
or should i build this motor and turbo it?
thanks guys
jeremy

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
It would be easier to install a turbo on your engine. Banks and hypermax make kits, but I have never had any experiance with them. I hear they make a big difference.

I know a few guys that upgraded to powerstrokes, but never got thm running right.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do u mean cant get them running right???

did they bolt in?
what year parts did they use?

the reason i lean toward this is for the aftermarket. there are TONS out there for the newer strokes and nothing for the old ones.
thanks

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
True, the aftermarket is what makes Powerstrokes so appealing.

They will replace a regular 7.3 diesel no problem, the guys I knew couldn't get the stock truck wiring to match that of the engine. If you take your time, I don't see why it would not work. If you use a powerstroke from any OBS truck, everything will work because the bodies are the same as yours. The only difference I know of is the air ducts in the PS fromt bumper. The only hard part would be the wires.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
obs truck?
ps fron bumper??

is the motor harness seperate from the truck controls?

the reason i ask is because i did a mustang swap where i put a 4.6 into a old fox mustang. the motor harness is seperate. so all i had to do is run that to make the motor run.
the rest was there..

is it true that the newer 7.3 turbos are hte better choice ( over the 6.0 ) and they bolt to my tranny i have now ( overdrive auto )
because then i could use my trans, driveshaft, speedo cable everything..

all i would have to fab are the intercooler and exhaust lines? correct?

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
i'm not sure about the tranny working. It will bolt up but it is controlled by the cpu. The engine harness is seperate but to my understanding is intertwined in the dash for the guages. If you swapped a 4.6 in a fox you should be able to handle it.

OBS= Old Body Style ('92-'97)
PS Front Bumper= non powerstrokes came with solid front bumpers. When they went to the PS, Ford added air ducts to the bumper for additional cooling. Later, all trucks used the newer bumper.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
from what i see on that site there is no kit for my truck, i have emailed to verify
thanks

WHATS the great gain to have a cummins?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ford 7.3 ford
ford 7.3 ford turbo diesel engine complete, out of 1995 F350 4x4, 220 Km, runs very good when pull out

found this for 1100 is that worth buying to build?
cause then it would bolt in right?

what else would i need?
its the WHOLE motor complete without the harness and computer.
i would need to add those and an exhaust, intercooler right?

thanks guys.
i want to build something a little so i can make power and be SURE not to hurt any parts.

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
$1100 is a steal for a runing powerstroke. Makes you wonder, though. Around here they go for around 3 grand. I doubt the computer comes with it, but the engine harness probably does. The intercooler would be optional, depending on how you want to use your truck. If you plan on towing, I recomend it. If you plan on rebuilding, the engine will probably be OK. You will want to replace all of the sensors if possoble and get new injectors if money permits. The '95 block would be a good base to start with. You will need a matching computer, but I'm still not sure abou the tranny working. I would guess it would, but maybe someone else knows for sure.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whast the weak point in that motor?
how strong are the stock parts?
how much power cna i make from that longblock?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
How deep are your pockets. If it's built to the hilt you can make over 600 ponies. You sound mechanically inclined so I am sure you can figure out the wiring harness. By far the electronics would be the hard part. Stg1 injectors, intercooler, and tranny upgrades with good programming would make for a stout work truck and great DD. JMHO

·
Registered
806 Posts
Im with Marty. Sounds like a great candidate for a cummins swap.

What tranny you got? Sounds like you have the zf5 speed..... They make adapters for those but they are pricey. By the time you build you build a powerstroke, you could have saved money by swappin in a 12 valve and throw in a 200 dollar set of marine injectors and remove the torque plate on the pump to make one heck of a smokin runner for cheap.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have messed with a lot of vehicles in my time, you are money and time ahead in the end selling what you don't want and buying what you do than trying to make something you don't like into something you want. Otherwise buy a wastegated turbo form Banks or ATS for $2500 and keep the IDI, they can be great motors.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
corect me if im wrong here but i believe the 95's are obd1 instead of OBD2 and so that swap isnt going to give youi the advantage of a tuner or any thing plus you would probly be best off to get a compleate donor pickup so you know exactly where all the wires came from and where they go instead of looking at some mangled spider web in a card board box that the guy at the junk yard thinks will work for your truck :) quite personaly i would sell the idi truck you can get about 4 grand out of it and you can get a higher milage powerstroke for around 6-7 grand these days if you can do the swap and make it work for under 3 grand youd have it made but personaly i think that buying a power stroke would be the eiasier and more cost efficient way to go :D

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
oh i forgot to mention theoreticly the manifolds, up pipes, turbo, and down pipe from a powerstroke should be a bolt up to your motor you might have to do some fabricating but i saw a 6.9 with the fatory turbo set up off a PS with the injection pump turned up and it was pretty mean

·
Registered
18 Posts
7.3 PS

I saw that someone mentioned that 7.3 PS usually bring around 3 grand.

I have a '99 powerstroke from a van 175K miles no intercooler, harness comes with it. IDM and EEC. Radiator. flexplate. airbox. It appears to have a leaking rear main seal, and it sputters on hard acceleration (i think its a plugged fuel filter or lift pump) I bought this to put in my '89 F-250, but i don't have the time to figure out the electrical. I'm asking $1500 FOB Penn Yan, NY 14527.

let me know if you want pictures/ more details.

thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts