Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
i would not buy the 5.4 they are dogs. a v10 has a good amount of power the 3 valve has even more. But the two valve like your looking at will be strong the v10s are faster stcok for stock. but you have far more after market options with a powerstroke.I will get a powerstroke next time around but that is just cause i want to make a real fast truck.

I would buy that v10! Looks nice, I have one and its a great truck. Gets about 10, loaded and unloaded lol. And if the motor ever blows up on you....Drop a 24 valve cummins in it and have some fun.

md18 you are a very wise man.

The fact that you've posted on here says to me you really wanna wait for the PSD. Most of us will have a hard time giving any unbiased reviews!

If your driving 6K miles a year with it I'de say get the V10 if it's had a good maintance history. Your not worried about mileage and maintnace cos ton it will be cheaper than a PSD. Hell yesterday I saw a V10 hauling a 420 cat backhoe.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
The fact that you've posted on here says to me you really wanna wait for the PSD. Most of us will have a hard time giving any unbiased reviews!
yes I do really want another psd...fact after driving the v10 I wanted a psd bad so I am picking up a 01 psd tomorrow if all goes as planned....the thought of a spark plug flying out isn't to appealing.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
If your driving 6K miles a year with it I'de say get the V10 if it's had a good maintance history. Your not worried about mileage and maintnace cos ton it will be cheaper than a PSD. Hell yesterday I saw a V10 hauling a 420 cat backhoe.
well after talking to the owner some more the transmission had never been serviced. A mechanic friend told him if it wasn't giving him trouble don't change the fluid:doh: and then he said if you drove it hard it would burn a quart of oil between changes but that was normal for a V10:hehe: No way was I giving 6k for it and he wouldn't budge.

Questions

I have a 96 PSD with a NAPA 6637 and a turbo back 4 inch exhaust no cat no muffler. I have a friend with a 2000 with a V-10 and said to me that his truck has more power and can out pull me and out pull me in a tug o war. Now I dont think this is possible. he has 150,000 on tht V10, and I have 230,000 on my PSD. He has an auto and I have a ZF5. My PSD is very very well maintained, and I am not sure the maintenace of my friends truck. I like his truck I just dont think a gas motor has more power then my PSD. Both trucks have no major engine power adders. The V10 has an dual exhaust. Anyone with any insight please let me know. :icon_ford:

I have both, a 7.3 and a 6.8 V10, and i can t ell you there is a big difference in power. The v10 is torquey from a start and he would have an advantage with the auto, since he can just hit the gas and go and doesn't need to build boost or anything like you do. But get the two trucks on a good hill on the highway with a trailer behind and you'll quickly see what truck has more power. The V10 has to shift constantly too keep up to speed and will be between 3-4k rpms while the psd will cruise right along.

DON'T DO IT!
HOld out for another powerstroke. I've got 257,000+ on mine and I know if I keep it long enough it will see 400,000.
I wouldn't feel confident about a V10 hitting 200,000

well fuel mileage doesnt mean alot as the truck will probably only see 6k miles a year at best. It won't be a daily driver. Will the V10 get 10mpg pulling 3k pounds?
If you are lucky.

And it was probably getting about 4 GALLONS per MILE. Yeah thats right. Thats no typo.

Id just wait for a diesel, i think youd be real disappointed with the lack of balls the v10 would have, and the thirst it has. The fact you posted this makes me think you really would rather have a diesel. Plus the whole blowing spark plugs out the heads don't sound like something id want to risk.

well fuel mileage doesnt mean alot as the truck will probably only see 6k miles a year at best. It won't be a daily driver. Will the V10 get 10mpg pulling 3k pounds?
we pulled 13k with our v10 cc f250 1100 miles and got 8-9 mpg.

DON'T DO IT!
HOld out for another powerstroke. I've got 257,000+ on mine and I know if I keep it long enough it will see 400,000.
I wouldn't feel confident about a V10 hitting 200,000
the v10 we pulled with has 250k miles. never had trans flush :) we have had since new never had problem

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.