Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
6.0 Powerstroke n00b
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very nice 2006 F250 CC FX4 that I have done a ton of work on but wouldnt mind having a dually. I have a wrecked 2007 F350 CC FX4 DRW with a complete drive train. Would it be dumb to consider swapping the front D60 and rear D80 differentials under my F250, add the fenders, converting mine to a dually? The F350 has all the parts there and has 4:10 gears. Im mostly considering this because it would make pulling our RV a litle easier.

Any opinions on this or should I just part out the wrecked one?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I love my Dually.

However, for me it would depend on if I needed the extra capacity. Driving a Dually through your typical drive-through is a nightmare. So are things like car washes and alignment shops. You also likely have a tighter turning radius as you're currently configured. It takes a football field to turn my truck around (ok.. it just feels that way).

If you have no intention of going to a larger trailer then I'd probably not do it. If you think you might I would strongly consider because it does really help there.

Keep on mind though the sticker is still going to have the same weight ratings it does today (from an official standpoint anyway).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I’ve never done it, but these are my first thoughts.

what gearing does the F250 have? Make sure they are matched. You will probably be into re gearing one or the other. I’m assuming the 250 is not 4.10

Front wheels will have to be changed, or carry separate spares. I don’t know what you’re into to make them fit. Spacer / adapters...??

Brakes I’m assuming will all work, might just need to change lines to get everything to match up

Im also assuming long bed to long bed or short to short? Moving the flares to the 250? Fair job to get everything lined up properly etc, painting to match. That’s assuming you can’t simply use the 350 box, and happen to have matching colored boxes etc etc.

Id also look into the spring perches, spring hangars etc. Make sure they all match up. They probably do. If you’re from a rust belt area, make sure you can get the spring bolts out. You might be into cutting them, they do get seized in the bushings. You will probably want to take the time now while it’s apart and re bush the springs and shackles etc if they are 14 years old or have been worked.

As Mattman said, you will still be limited to what the truck is rated for.

Sounds like a fun project, but fairly involved for not a lot of gain imho.

One last thought on the off chance... I’ll also assume this isn’t a chassis cab someone mounted a box onto.

·
Administrator
30,759 Posts
If I was doing this I would be looking for a widetrac d60 front to improve the turning radius
but id a dually is what you want this should be pretty straightforward and with both axles at your disposal no gearing issues and should all bolt right in

·
6.0 Powerstroke n00b
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To clarify the details: Both trucks are Lariat Crew Cab FX4's. My F250 has 3:73, my wrecked F350 has 4:10. All parts are there to convert my F250. I will need the fuel door type fender because my F250 is a short bed. You dont see many short bed duallies but there are a few. If I dont have time to do this, I would think parting out the F350 would be OK too. Would it be fairly easy to sell an f350 Dana 60 and Dana 80 with 4:10's?

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,877 Posts
Depends on where you live. In S FL a set of axles with everything to convert a leaf spring truck is about 1200ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts