Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am looking at a 1996 F-250 4x4 powerstroke, extended cab, shortbed, 5-speed, new clucth and all that, inside truck is very nice. The truck has 150,000 miles tires are 50% two tone in color. The paint is nice and looks clean spray in bed liner. The truck is 7 hours away and has rust above one of the rear wheels a big amount. Would this be worth it to buy and fix it and have it repainted to macth. What would you thing this would cost parts are 200 bucks from LMC with out shipping.
He said he will take $5,000 because I am coming so far the wanted $5,800
I know if it was close I would buy it just want every ones opion if its worth the drive and price.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The parts would be $200...then you have all the labor in the paint...I was quoted about $300 for a two toned fender cleared with the matching pin striping. If rust is there...where else is there rust...usually the core support is rotted, bottom inside of front fenders is starting to go and the bottom of the doors and tailgate aren't far behind. I'd get him to take good photos of these areas first.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wouldn't. Don't know where you're located, but I can find a truck in similar condition but with no rust around my parts (Colorado) for $4k or less.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not that expencive to repair the rear fenders. I just installed new rears. Cost me about 500 for teh parts and supplyes including a few new air tools to install them and cust every bit of rust out i could find. I figure a few hundred more to paint myself once i find a dicent spray gun on sale. If done properly it will last and not come back. About 5 or more years ago i picked up a toyota box that was over 50% rusted out and everyone knows how bad toyotas rust. I cust out all the rust and replaced and painted. Not even a hint of teh rust comming back yet same with the cab were some of teh repairs are 10 years old. If you can stop rust on a toyota then you know your doing something right..hehe.. The trick is take your time and make sure you get it all out. For little rust spots i used a dremel with a little bit on the end and ground out all teh little pin spots...

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
If that truck was local to me, and the frame was still decent that'd be a good price. I paid 6500 for my truck with 175k miles, auto, and its starting to rust on the fenders, rockers, and tailgate. I still got a decent deal on it. I know around here OBS's are like gold. Its normal to see one rust free to go for well over $10k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would i payed 3,000 for mine it had 175,000 on it with a good amount of rust on the rear but if its in good shape and lil rust i woulg go git it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts