Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 F250 crewcab psd with 209k miles one owner until recently went to auction and was sold to a dealer who is trying to turn it for a profit. Drivetrain seems fairly solid currently getting it inspected. Tranny seemed a little confused when you give it some juice but still shifted

>$3000 in ranch hand extras, never had a gooseneck and never used for serious hauling

Cons: fuel gauge not working (all the way to the right)
Doors - power locks work using fob, do not work with buttons on door
Passenger side windows do not work

Cold start up might be a problem (assuming glow plugs or relay need to be checked)

Little body rust on tailgate and back of cab where something rubbed.

Other than that it looks well taken care of. Seller is asking $7700 firm.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Pics? 4x4?

·
Registered
725 Posts
97 F250 crewcab psd with 209k miles one owner until recently went to auction and was sold to a dealer who is trying to turn it for a profit. Drivetrain seems fairly solid currently getting it inspected. Tranny seemed a little confused when you give it some juice but still shifted

>$3000 in ranch hand extras, never had a gooseneck and never used for serious hauling

Cons: fuel gauge not working (all the way to the right)
Doors - power locks work using fob, do not work with buttons on door
Passenger side windows do not work

Cold start up might be a problem (assuming glow plugs or relay need to be checked)

Little body rust on tailgate and back of cab where something rubbed.

Other than that it looks well taken care of. Seller is asking $7700 firm.
This is a 4X4, shifts into gear great no problems. I dont think it was used very much. Manually locking hubs.
With thouse statements Im confused :dunno: And I suppose its an auto, right?

I think the price is right.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If it's not rusty and you get him to fix the cold start issues, doors, and power locks/windows then yes it's a good buy for $7700

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I would be mostly worried about the trans. and funny acting auto trans can get expensive quick. Then the cold start issue is probly just a GPR or GP. The door lock issue probably isn't too big of a problem since it works with the fob. See if you can get some professional input on the trans

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
if they fix that stuff thats wrong, then probably worth more too, but as is with all that, i wouldnt pay more than 6k, just kause all taht stuff has alot of effort, especially the back pass window

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'd pass for $7700 if the tranny seems like it's on the way out. Rebuild aint cheap.
Other than that, how is the turbo. Any signs of dusting?
Have you done a blowby test?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No signs of dusting, ford dealer who inspected felt confident that it is in good shape and didn't think that it would add value to do the blow by test

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Lol a blow by test isn't supposed to add any value. It simply determines if your motor has massive internal issues. Simply pull the oil cap and set it upside down over the fill hole. If it falls off then you better pass unless you want to rebuild a motor in a short time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed that this won't add monetary value to the vehicle. What I meant was the ford dealer who inspected it said that if it was having blow by it should have resulted in a failure code at the computer. Since there were no bad codes the inspector didn't think it would be beneficial to spend the money on a blow by test that he said required special tools and would cost ~$300 to do.

My next question would be what is the difference in a blow by test by a mechanic and flipping the oil cover yourself? Forgive me for any stupid questions... first diesel...

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
im sure the mechanic has tools and can do a better test than flipping the cap, but thats our poor mans version of a blow by test, its simple and tells alot by this retardedly simple test

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Passed inspection and blow by test ... and ... I bought it!

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts