Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have recently looked at purchasing 6.4 powerstroke. I’ve heard pros and cons about them and was wondering if it was worth investing in. It has 64,000 miles, oil changed every 5000 fuel filters every 10,000. Old man owned and not abused. Just curious what anyone thinks. Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Welcome to the org.

(Boy, we need a separate thread for this question... lots of 6.4’s must be getting to the point of being priced right these days.)

You’re going to get two opinions here.
1. No problem
2. Big problem

there’s no easy answer. Deleted, not deleted? How much do you have to spend while you own it? The 6.4 are not known for their longevity. I’d suggest spending a few days reviewing all the differnt posts on the 6.4 here, and other forums, and YouTube. Lots of info to digest before you buy one.

I had one, loved it. Never relied on it. Imho, it was a toy that could cost $15k at anytime. Once I accepted that, I was very happy with it. For work, I relied on other trucks, including a 6.0 for reliability.

Reactions: midnightrider79

·
Registered
514 Posts
they are good trucks i wont lie they have there faults like most motors , you do have a leg up with them being out they do have a lot of products to make them a batter motor. like above they can be costly at times .
doing a delete will give you better milage and save the turbo and not have the headache of the regen but start upgrading like anything else you can expect to spend some money on it.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Some 6.4 owners have good stories and maybe a few more than that number have not-so-good stories. I’m not sure there is much of a reason to buy a 6.4 truck if you’re concerned about them. There are plenty of good used Ford trucks that were produced prior to the 6.4 and quite a few after that model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased mine at a great price and knew the one owner history, 72000 mi.
If you know it has a good history and you take care of it, I think you will have good odds. I would suggest deleting it ASAP.
I did my research on the 6.4 and decided to get it knowing it could be a throw away truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have driven two of these 6.4 powerstrokes before and when they're running well they're excellent. Tons of power and just a generally really nice truck. When they have problems it is usually catastrophic. My 6.0 Powerstroke can be a pain in the *** but a 6.4 can be a pure nightmare. As was previously posted if you can accept the fact that at any point in time the motor might explode and you will either have to sell it for parts or put $15,000 into the truck, you are okay. As I said when they are running great they are absolutely beautiful. An absolute ton of power. I have personally seen hey 72 or 73 Thousand Mile truck that looked like brand-new inside and out is that had a cracked or blown up piston causing massive Blow by so be very careful.

·
Registered
514 Posts
very true and he makes a lot of good points , and i agree to many guys tune them and dont do it right. i got pretty lucky on mine i still doing the upgrades the last guy should have done but i never claimed to be right in the head.

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
650 Posts
No.

Reactions: Jeff-F350

·
Registered
64 Posts
I run a 2008 6.4 with 117k on her. She has only left me on the side of the road once. I had a the temp sensor burn out on me while towing a camper. I deleted and tuned (with very little power added) her as soon as I got her her home. I got her when she had 32k on her and driven her like a truck. In my neighborhood there is three of these and all three are still going strong. Last night I had to go tow my neighbor cause his tuned 6.7 blow a head off. It snapped the head in two. So, if you know the history and treat her like the baby she is (stay up on the maintenance) it is a love/hate relationship. But remember these are trucks and not race cars and it should do for you what you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts