Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 7.3 with 150,000 on it. But it's a single cab and I need a 4 door for the growing family. I've located a 06' but my diesel mechanic has told me to stay away from the 6.0. I pull a 30' 5th wheel a few times a year and an 18' flatbed for work quite often. They act like the 6.0 doesn't hold up to "work". What would you do?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
it's the 03/04's that you need to worry about. 05's and newer are fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had my 6.0 for about a year now, and i pull a 32 Travel trailer around all the time. I also pull for work sometimes an 18' fold down flatbed with tractor, and it has been fine. NO mechanical issues what so ever. BUt i have an 03' 6.0, which from what i hear is different as far as performance goes than the 05 and up

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
The newer 6.0L are pretty good engines. I would not buy an 03-04 6.0L but I would buy an 06 6.0L. All depending on the Oasis report and a car fax report. But I would get those reports on anything I was looking at buying.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sldghamr, what issues are you referring to? I'm just curious I have not had any problems what so ever and i have put well over 28K on it in the past year with a total of 98K now.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Sldghamr, what issues are you referring to? I'm just curious I have not had any problems what so ever and i have put well over 28K on it in the past year with a total of 98K now.
i have heard of several issues: bad turbos, injectors leaking, bad head gaskets. i work with someone who had an 04, he had the problem of the engine "missing" on several occassions. got so bad, he got his money back per the lemon law.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Yes. Lol :dunno:

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I would not be worried about an 06.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

I have a 04 with 101 and some change. Minor problems, Nothing to get excited over. And I pull almost daily.
She makes me proud.:thumb: I would buy another. Although I have yet to meet someone whom disliked their 7.3L

Good luck

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I have an 03 and i keep trying to break it and can't!
I have fun trying though...93k on the clock.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My 06 runs like a champ...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i have an 03 7.3 and love it but i have been thinking about the upgrade to the 6.0 at least an 06 but i think you will be fine just remember the 7.3s have their share of problems too not as big but still problems

·
Registered
119 Posts
Its just a couple of problems they have the common stuff is....
Bracket kit/ hpop problems
Injectors
Egr Cooler
OIl Cooler
Occasionally some wierd stuff happens, but I have seen just as much with the 7.3's, ofcourse I only see them when they break.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
My 05 runs great and has never had any issues.

·
Registered
223 Posts
the heads are better on 05-07 but my cooler still went . No biggie , if it goes ,delete it. There is an awesome tranny behind the 6.0 too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got an '03 6.0 crewcab and have been lucky enough to escape all serious engine issues. Got problems with my EGR which likely just needs to be cleaned and I need a new alternator but no serious issues like some people have had.

*knocks on wood* Watch now that I said that the bastard will go and hydrolock.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I bought it. It was an '06 with 68500 on it. F350 crew cab lariat LB for $22850. The only thing so far is the cruise seemed to not be steady. It would drop down and then really gun it and go 5 over. The lie o meter was saying 17 mpg can this really be improved upon? (should I post the mileage ? in a different forum?)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts