Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few of questions for you guys. Ordered a 08 F450 Lariat DRW and the dealer said it is supposed to be here today 4/16/08. I am replacing an 06 F350 XLT DRW. ( Totally Stock )
1st. Question:
Is this new motor all what they say it is?
2nd. Question:
Are the heads going to stay bolted down?
3rd. Question:
Are the new EGR coolers still splitting and dumping antifreeze through the top of the motor.

I tow a 33' fifth wheel and do not want to be left sitting any more.
Thanks
:icon_ford:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations on purchasing the new ride. I also traded an 06 psd for an 08. I really like the ride and looks of the new 08's but I'll have to be honest with you that I do not like regeneration and the dpf's. My truck has over 10,000 miles and I'm starting to notice a slight increase in MPG's. I'm waiting for the dust to settle on the new programmers that have dpf delete and I will purchase one of them. This is a great forum to learn about your new truck and you'll get lots of valuable info so you can make some educated decisions about modifications. I've made 2 trips to the shop due to dpf problems but to answer your questions, I have not had any of the problems that you asked about. My new 6.4 has lots of power (except when in regeneration) and I'm looking forward to many more miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. As far as the regeneration... How often does that happen and how long does it do it? I know nothing about this and would like to know more about it. What problems have you had with the dpf so I know when it happens what it does and have a little bit of insite.
Any other people out there that can give me a little more info it is greatly apprieciated.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
if you search for regeneration you will get it all explained. the heads stay down, the egrs dont puke coolant. they just get bad mileage.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Just a few of questions for you guys. Ordered a 08 F450 Lariat DRW and the dealer said it is supposed to be here today 4/16/08. I am replacing an 06 F350 XLT DRW. ( Totally Stock )
1st. Question:
Is this new motor all what they say it is?
2nd. Question:
Are the heads going to stay bolted down?
3rd. Question:
Are the new EGR coolers still splitting and dumping antifreeze through the top of the motor.

I tow a 33' fifth wheel and do not want to be left sitting any more.
Thanks
:icon_ford:
Well my first question to you is.....what have you heard about the new motor?
So far so good on the head :nod: and I haven't heard anything bad about the EGRs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your new truck may have a display on the dash that tells you when it's in regeneration. Mine does not. I can tell when my power level decreases and my engine makes a different sound. The dpf heats up to burn off the collected soot and particulate matter and there is even a burning odor from the dpf. You also use more fuel during this process. The engines are now programmed to stop regeneration when you apply your brake. This is a safety design. Mine did not do this when it was new and my truck would go into regeneration when I was stopped. This would cause the truck to lunge forward at a stop sign or red light. I took it to the dealer twice to have this corrected. There are some good programmers out there that will delete this process and increase your power and fuel mileage. Just read some of the treads in this forum and you'll know more about it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Dont mean to hijack or anyting, i am just wondeirng what the DPF is?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts