Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently working at the GM Assembly Plant here in Wentzville, as an electrician (outside contractor), for the upcoming Colorado truck line. The problem I have is that I live between 1 to 1.5 miles away. What should I do to make sure I don't mess anything up since the truck doesn't warm up at all? Stop driving it? Take a longer route to work? Any ideas would be helpful.........

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump::bump:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Let it warm up a bit in the morning and don't run the helll out of it and shut it down with the turbo hot. I would ride a bike or walk if I were that close.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
As long as you give it a min to warm up before you drive it, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't expect miracles in fuel economy though.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I am currently working at the GM Assembly Plant here in Wentzville, as an electrician (outside contractor), for the upcoming Colorado truck line. The problem I have is that I live between 1 to 1.5 miles away. What should I do to make sure I don't mess anything up since the truck doesn't warm up at all? Stop driving it? Take a longer route to work? Any ideas would be helpful.........
How about worrying less and driving more :shrug:

Its not a big deal. Just drive it.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
It is a big deal to not let your truck warm up. Trucks don't like always running cold. You can fire it up, make a pot of coffee, drink a few cups, then head to work, make another pot of coffee, drink a few more cups, then shut it down. Or, just get a bike, go for a jog, something other than drive. 1-2 miles really is too short to spend driving, unless the neighborhood just sucks that bad.

If it's a safety aspect, use the block heater overnight. You'll enjoy having it plugged in over the winter, so you might as well get a system started. I'm guessing the MO winters are very similar to OK where it doesn't really snow, but ice storms are an annual thing. The block heater will keep everything warm enough that it'll be up to temp once you get to work. You still need to let it idle to cool down the EGT's before you shut down though. That will help save the turbo.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I've put a few hundred thousand miles on my diesels... no, they by nature dont like the cold, but it will be fine. You dont need to do the whole song and dance and all that crap waiting for the truck to warm up. Get in, start it up, put your seatbelt on, put your news talk radio on, and drive. It's really just that easy ;)

Drive easy, of course!!

EDIT: Oh ya, and if it's only a few miles, there should be NO reason why your turbo is hot enough to keep the truck on for a few minutes to let it cool down.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies .... I should mention that I'll only be here for a couple more weeks so maybe it won't be too big of a deal. I thought about the bike deal, but I couldn't see myself putting a basket on it to hold my lunchbox..... :doh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts