Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to install a new exhaust system into my 97 LBCC PSD which is basically stock right now with some modest plans for adding a chip in the future, nothing extreme. The two options I am considering are; 1) a Diamond Eye 4” turbo-back with or without muffler and cat delete or 2) a MBRP 4” turbo-back cat-delete without muffler.

Both come with 5” SS tips but the MBRP is about $100 more and advertises a 3.5” DP, the D.E. has the option to have a muffler and is cheapest but the DP is listed as only 3”.

Anyone out there with any recommendations, experience or comments on either of these systems or another you would recommend?

Looking to improve performance and mileage and how it sounds isn’t too big a deal, louder, quieter, I don’t care.

Thanks, Donny

·
Registered
583 Posts
It is my belief the largest down pipe that can be used is three inch,The largest obstacle being firewall tolerance.You will need to collapse the flange on the fire wall.I had mine done and it is tight without touching a thing.I noticed a huge improvement with downpipe alone. After downpipe.you can increase all you want

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I believe the Diamond Eye goes from 3" to 3.5" around the middle then out to 4" near where the cat should be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. It was my understanding that the DP was limited by the manifold but I don't really know so I am probably wrong on that. Are you saying that anything bigger than 3" will require a firewall modification?

Is there anyone out there that can comment on the quality of a Dimond Eye vs. a MBRP?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just ordered a Diamond Eye model #K4307S last Thursday. I couldn't see spending the extra $100+ for the MBRP Name. Pipe is Pipe in my opinion. I paid $336 with free shipping for 4" turbo back stainless with muffler and cat delete.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. It was my understanding that the DP was limited by the manifold but I don't really know so I am probably wrong on that. Are you saying that anything bigger than 3" will require a firewall modification?

Is there anyone out there that can comment on the quality of a Dimond Eye vs. a MBRP?
Downpipe size is only limited by firewall clearance. From what I hear the MBRP down pipe doesn't fit all that great but the Diamond Eye one does FWIW.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just installed a Diamond Eye cat back. I did the cat delete but I kept the muffler. It installed pretty easy. The only problem I had was positioning the tail pipe so it's level but doesn't hit anything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 3" diamond eye dp to 4" cat delete pipe. The guy who installed it had to cut 3 slits in the firewall seam then use a portapower to create a larger opening to clear the down pipe. Then I went to a muffler shop and they welded another 4" pipe to the cat delete pipe and made a 45 degree side exit exhaust in front of the right rear tire. Without the cat or muffler the turbo whistle is much more noticeable and it produces a deeper exhaust tone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts