Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currantly own an 05 Ram 2500 CTD. I am selling it to pay off a few things and then shopping for another truck in next couple of months. Always been a Ford man, but the 6.0 stories scared me into the Dodge. I have loved the Cummins, but not as impressed with the rest of the truck. After some research, I'm not as scared of the 6.0 as I once was, and am willing to give it a shot... it has to be that or a V10 version, cause it's got to be a ford this time. I will be looking to stay in the ~$15-18K price range, so I will be looking for one in 100K+ mileage range.

My plan is to look at 120-150K mile vehicles 1st, I figure most problems have shown their face by then. I hope to find one that has already been "Bulletproofed", but if not I plan to imediately do the following:
-coolant flush and filter addition
-EGR delete
-headstuds and gaskets
-add a ScanguageII
-and possibly the oil cooler swap depending on what the Scangauge tells me

I realize there are a few more issues I should look into, HPOP and etc... but I haven't really gotten that far yet info wise, and these seem to be the most immediately needed upgrades from what I've read. I have a OBII scanner to take on my search.

-Are there any particular codes that should make me run away?
-any quick things I can check on test drives? ie. rusty turbo or things like that?
-should I worry about the tranny with that many miles? (yes, dodge has made me gun shy)
-does my plan seem to be well laid out or is finding a good used 6.0 really just the "coin-flip" that everyone is claiming?

Sorry for the long post, but any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :thumb:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
As for the codes I would try and find something that doesnt have any but I would check out the scanguage or the edge CS/CTS and have that ready for all of your test drives to monitor the EOT/ECT to check for hidden problems. with the edge you can also check out the FICM volts as well as lots of other things

Test drive checks: I like to show up and listen to the engine when its cold, how long it takes to turn over, any smoke on start up, is it white black, blue, mixed, etc. That can help determine whats going on internally. Feel for injector issues, check the all the oils and make sure the trans oil doesnt smell burnt or discolored.

The transmissions are pretty stout in these trucks but anything mechanical will fail eventually. Check for slipage driving regularly and WOT, any funny shifting or feelings with it.

Your plan seems pretty stout, that should be in the owners manual of what to do when to buy one of these trucks. The EGR delete and head stud combo will just be preventative maintenance so as long as your alright with that your good to go. There are a few issues with the 05-07s like the SCT fitting failure, turbo oil drain tube, etc that are pretty cheap to fix and while your getting the studs done they can do it all at the same time.

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
If you tear it down for head studs it's foolish not to do the oil cooler at the same time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys, I have been searching and reading as much as possible, but man there is a lot of info on here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts