Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to the shop to get alignment done today and they said i need new aftermarket ball joints and a icon dual steering stabilizer for a little under 3000$ with install. Said it will give my truck a tighter steering feel and handle more like a "sports car". Main concern is that he said if i dont do it it will chop up my front tires really bad??

Is all that necessary and will it chop up my tires??

thanks

·
Don't you worry about it
2017 F250
8,335 Posts
three grand!!! are they Gold ball joints? My guy is going to only charge me $300 for labor and cant be more that $200 for some moog joints

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats what i said...3 grand for the steering stabilzers and the ball joints with install

he said there dyanpro and re greaseable

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
$3000 is f'n nuts!! lose that shops number. I mean if you truly do need new ball joints then have that done (at a different shop), but from your list of mods I don't see any reason for a dual steering stabilizer. I haven't seen tires "chopped up" because of bad ball joints but I'm sure it could be a little tough on them.

·
Don't you worry about it
2017 F250
8,335 Posts
heck you could almost get studs done for 3 grand lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just did a FULL front end rebuild on a 2007 dodge 3500, and it cost 2260.00 with labor. You are better off buying a Ford ball joint press, getting all the parts yourself get a buddy and some beer and doing it for a lot cheaper! Or O'reillys you can "borrow" tools. screw that guy, spend the other 2300 on something cool, maintenance parts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I mean all the steering bars, ball joints, both wheel bearings and a DSS bar. Lifetime warranty parts... No way yours is 3k

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The Ball joints he was probably referring to were Dynatrac Prosteer rebuildable ball joints. (not dynapro).

They are hands down the best ball joints you can get, but they cost around $700. For that price you can replace moog joints multiple times.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Moog are lifetime warranty, just pop 'em out, warranty them, and pop the new ones in, then align... one time purchase and you're done

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
went to the shop to get alignment done today and they said i need new aftermarket ball joints and a icon dual steering stabilizer for a little under 3000$ with install. Said it will give my truck a tighter steering feel and handle more like a "sports car". Main concern is that he said if i dont do it it will chop up my front tires really bad??

Is all that necessary and will it chop up my tires??

thanks
$669 Dynatrac Ball Joints
$550 Icon Dual Stabilizer

That leaves $1781 to perform approximately 6-8 hours of labor. That would mean that their labor rate is between $220 and $300 hr.:dunno:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thanks guys ill look around for a better price.
is there a noticeable difference if i were to get those 2 things done?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Icon is a bit pricey, but a damn good company. Unless your running 13.5's or 40'' tires a single stabilizer should suffice just fine. Around 129-200 for a single kit

·
Registered
379 Posts
ok thanks guys ill look around for a better price.
is there a noticeable difference if i were to get those 2 things done?
I would go back to that shop and ask them to break out the pricing for you. I agree with everyone else, but these guys are recommending some of the best parts available on the planet, so their choice in parts is spot on. Some of the math above is not 100% conclusive, it does not include taxes (for buying local) or shipping (if buying online). And they may be including an alignment, could be worth upwards of $100. Again, they are still high as haydeez, but they do know their stuff, no denying that.

I am installing the Moog ball joints this weekend, but I wanted the Dynatracs...

good luck and let us know which way you go.

to answer your question, YES, huge difference and (if everything else is ok) it will steer like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Have you guys ever heard of ball joints that can be adjusted during alignment? On that dodge I mentioned earlier the BJs were adjustable for alignment. To me it seemed like just another part to wear out and screw with the alignment. Any one ever used/heard of these, and have any input on them?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have always replaced the stock ford ball joints with Moogs and never had a problem with them. As for the steering stabilizer I would do a dual kit. Im just running 35's on my truck, but I put a dual kit on and the truck handles much better. Icon kits are nice but are pricey. You can get a good dual set up with bilsteins 5100's from top gun customz for $300. I dont see the benefit of the extra price of the icon shocks on a stabilizer vs a good bilstein.

·
Registered
69 Posts
why would you need aftermarket ball joints if you only have a leveling kit and 35s??

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The aftermarket ball joints compared to OEM ford are higher quality and last longer. Also serviceable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Never heard of an adjustable ball joint for a ford. You can get ball joint sleeves with different offsets to them. They allow for camber and caster adjustments and work very well if you need them. I'm an alignment tech and it's very rare that I ever have to put these in so don't go buying them unless you have a known camber or caster problem. As for ball joints I run 35s on my leveled 2000 super duty with moog ball joints and have no problems at all

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dodge's do have aftermarket adjustable ball joints available but they suck lol you're better off going with an offset ball joint

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 26 Posts