Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my o2 X for about 2 1/2 years and I can't seem to find descent shocks. I started with Moroes they lasted almost a year then I switched to Billstiens not as good as everyone said they have been on for about 18 months now, any ideas? I drive 30000 a year mostly highway but I have 8miles of gravel road everyday. I've been wondering about replacing the back leaves with an air ride suspension, any thoughts.:dunno:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmm

Why don't you try some remote resivoir shocks? They seem to take a good beating in the races and are completely rebuildable. I used to have a set on my 02 Ram 2500 when I was running up and down the mountains. I rebuil them once in two years but keep in mind I was hauling some serious weight around on those nasty roads, and I wasn't very nice to my truck. Now I have an Ex. While In love driving her around(it's my couch) I miss the Cummins and a bed.... When these Monroe Relflexes go bad I think I will either put on the remote shocks or get rid of it. I forget what brand my shocks were, but i got them from Fabtech, weren't cheap but had a great ride, not too soft, not too rough on the dirt roads. Just my .02$

·
Bring On The Snow
1,650 Posts
Rancho Rs9000XL shocks are sweet:)

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
The problem isn't the Bilsteins its the valving. Bilstein and Icon valving is to soft for a EX. With the correct valving you will love the results. Addition of dual's up front is a great addition for the EX.

The main problem with it is the springs and lack of suspension travel. At a min install front V and modded rear B or F codes fron a SD, add a SD rear swaybar and you will have a great handling and comfortable truck.

Many EX owners have done these mods and are extreamly happy.

PM me if you like and I'll tell you how to mod the B, F codes.

Cary

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I've had my o2 X for about 2 1/2 years and I can't seem to find descent shocks. I started with Moroes they lasted almost a year then I switched to Billstiens not as good as everyone said they have been on for about 18 months now, any ideas? I drive 30000 a year mostly highway but I have 8miles of gravel road everyday. I've been wondering about replacing the back leaves with an air ride suspension, any thoughts.:dunno:
The Monroes lasted only a year? Or 30k miles...? Did you like them?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would get fox shocks custom valved it cost some money but you'll get a good shock that you can re build

·
Registered
48 Posts
Now I remember, I had Fox shocks, they are not cheap, but they worked great. I got a good deal on them, otherwise I would have used Ranchos and been happy with them. I added a add-a-leaf on the front of my Ex, and will be adding airsprings in the rear with a sway bar and traction bars. They are sitting in my garage right now, just to lazy to install them. The add a leafs gave me a more firm ride, and a little more travel in the front. I am not sure why we have that big bumpstop i the front, where as the sd trucks don't. I would like to know why.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
If you get the correctly valved Bilsteins they will work correctly and you will never need to replace them. I have personally put 300k miles on one set and 5 years later they are still on the truck and work as new.

Cary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts